AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Load Check tools

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
purvy
787 Views, 8 Replies

Power Load Check tools

Hi,

Could someone explain me a little bit of using these tools?
I know the main point of using them (ACADE Help materials),
but unfortunately I don't know how to get the successful results.

Thanks for advises...

Regards
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dougmcalexander
in reply to: purvy

You click the add/edit button on the power check toolbar and click on a source device like a transformer of power supply. Assign a units value like Watts, KiloWatts, Amps, etc. Optionally assign a voltage level. As you insert load devices (relays, contactors, lights, etc.) use the power check add/edit to assign a load value of whatever units you assigned to the source (i.e. W, kW, A, etc.). Note: This information is usually available from the vendor's technical data for each device. If you have a device that effectively consumes no measurable energy, use the button on the power check toolbar label "Mark Component to Pass Power" and select these devices. For example a fuse will pass power but not consume it. After all devices are inserted and assigned a load value, you can click the "Power Load Check Report" and get a running total report of how much your source device is providing and how much load the sum total of your devices is drawing from this source. You will be able to identify whether or not you have under-sized your transformer, power supply etc.

I have attached a screen shot with notes showing an example of power check being used with a transformer that feeds contactors and lights.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
purvy

Thanks for quick reply and clear explanation...

Regards
Message 4 of 9
sgsawdy

This tool needs one major change to make it truly useful. The values must be able to be entered in the parts catalog database so that every time you insert a device, the values are inserted too. Otherwise we have to waste a huge amount of time going to each component just to add these values. These components values are constant per part number. For example, the load value of a CONTINENTAL INDUSTRIES #I.O.-OAC-R0-280 relay is going to be the same every time it is used. Why must we have to enter the values every time we use it. Further, if these values are part of the catalog database entry, then if we change that device to something else the values could be automatically updated to the new part.

Just my two cents for the wish list.

Scott
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Scott, I logged your good idea.

Thanks,

Pat Murnen

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
This
tool needs one major change to make it truly useful. The values must be able
to be entered in the parts catalog database so that every time you insert a
device, the values are inserted too. Otherwise we have to waste a huge amount
of time going to each component just to add these values. These components
values are constant per part number. For example, the load value of a
CONTINENTAL INDUSTRIES #I.O.-OAC-R0-280 relay is going to be the same every
time it is used. Why must we have to enter the values every time we use it.
Further, if these values are part of the catalog database entry, then if we
change that device to something else the values could be automatically updated
to the new part. Just my two cents for the wish list.
Scott
Message 6 of 9
sgsawdy

Thanks Pat.

Scott
Message 7 of 9
sonny3g
in reply to: sgsawdy

Well, it has been three years since my last post on this subject.  Yet, NO progress!!  So, if Autodesk does not plan to fix this "feature" so it can truly be useful, how about removing it.  I have people that want us to use it then complain because using it waste to much time.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 8 of 9
testsubject
in reply to: sonny3g

I agree that it is hard to justify using this tool without the ability to save this info in the catalog database. There is no time saving for this tool if I have to re-enter the data everytime I create a drawing. It really takes too long to use.

That being said, anytime frame from the ACE Crew?? We have been waiting over 3 years since this was logged. I was initially excited about this tool until I saw what a time sink it was to use it.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 9 of 9
defreitnc
in reply to: testsubject

Something else it does not seem to do correctly is to check any loads beyond the source/destination links.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost