AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Numbering

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
552 Views, 20 Replies

Page Numbering

We are converting from doing electrical prints with some lisp routines we wrote & our own blocks to ACADE.

In our current setup we divide our drawings into sections. Is it possible to get ACADE to restart page numbering at the start of a new section?

Darren
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
MartinLee
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not aware of anything that will do this. My company also divides the drawings into sections, so if there is a way to do this I am interested also. Currently, we have a "Prototype" project that contains at least one sheet for each section. When we start a new project, we do a "Project Copy" of the prototype, then add sheets as needed.

Perhaps the fine folks at Autodesi can come up with a way to create a specified number of new sheets within a project (using a template) and then the drawing numbers and shee numberst information could be entered at that time.

Martin
Message 3 of 21
testsubject

ACE works best if each section (sheet) was in its own independent drawing. It is designed around this whole paradym. I am unaware of how to do it using your setup. How would the software "know" what sheet was what? Top down.left,right? I have been using it for over 7 years now and cannot imagine doing it any different. It would seem that it would take a lot more work for ACE to do it the way you do it. There is a bit of a learning curve and I still sometimes have to go back and redo an old package when I come to it, but has been worth it in the over all timesavings I have experienced.

Martin,

How have you been able to auto-renumber the sheets since %S is drawing dependent? (Just curious)

Robert Hanrahan
Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co.
ACE user since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

I think you are misunderstanding the question. In the project setup when you insert your drawings you can also sub-divide the project drawings (sheets) by section. It is still a separate page/sheet/drawing. For example, all of our Panel Layouts are in Section 4 so the sheet numbers look like 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc.

Next all the schematics are in Section 5.

All the General Arrangements are in Section 7.

Flow sheets are in Section 8, etc.

<>

I haven't and that presents a problem.

Darren
Message was edited by: dlash
Message 5 of 21
testsubject

Yes indeed. I did misunderstand the question. I have come across others who had multiple sheets per drawing and wanted to keep it that way. I though that is what you were getting at.

I understand your problem now. I realize that this is not the best answer, but, did you try to just renumber each section, 1 section at a time restarting sheet 01 each time? If the Sec/Sub was part of your titleblock attributes (i.e., YourSheetNo=DwgSec-%S) then it would pass through. I am not sure if there may be another way. At least would partially automate the process.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Robert Hanrahan
ACE user since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 6 of 21
rstein

Hi testsubject this is Rob from the Events. Nice seeing you still helping out with the discussion groups. I beleve that you did mis-understand the question,.
What I think you will need to do is the following.

In each drawing you have the WD_M block that holds the configuration for that drawing. You can change the %S value here. then If you do a re-sequence you can opt to not resequence this value. At this point you would be able to change any sheet, in any section to re-start at 001 or whatever your sheet numbering convention is.
I hope this helps, let me know if it does or doesn't, I might be able to record a short avi for you if needed.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

<< I have come across others who had multiple sheets per drawing and wanted to keep it that way.>>

Yes, that is exactly the old way our drawings were set up. But with the project management features of ACADE, I see no reason to keep it that way. Plus it is a pain trying to show a customer how to navigate the drawing set, even though we have lisp routines that automate much of this.

Thanks,

Darren
Message 8 of 21
testsubject

Hi Rob. Any word on the UG?

Robert Hanrahan
ACE user since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 9 of 21
testsubject

No problem Darren. I wish that I could have given you a better answer.

Bob

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 10 of 21
rstein

Stil Working on getting it up and running. the first ones will probably be in Michigan, then move out from there. Just have to get enough interest from users.

I have been building content ideas for the first several.
do you have any ideas to add to my list.
Message 11 of 21
testsubject

I'll keep thinking of things but MI is a bit a of a commute for me :0

Bob

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 12 of 21
rstein

That is true.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Is there a way to write a script that can access the drawings in a project so that I can make it number them the way I want?

Are there any VBA or LISP examples that may point me in the right direction?

Darren
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Darren, There is a built-in hook to run your user-defined script against some or all dwgs in a project. This is accessed from the "Proj-Wide Utilities" button on the PROJ toolbar flyout. Look for the "For each drawing... Run command script file" toggle and file selection box. This script could probably invoke your custom VBA or Lisp programs. Alternately, you can look at the "API" section in the on-line help. There are about 200 or so Lisp hooks into AcadE. Nate. "dlash" wrote in message news:8251568.1086785496724.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is there a way to write a script that can access the drawings in a project so that I can make it number them the way I want? > > Are there any VBA or LISP examples that may point me in the right direction? > > Darren
Message 15 of 21
MartinLee

Robert,

I am not currently auto-numbering the sheets, I have to manually put in the sheet number for each new drawing (in the config dialkog). Part of my response above is a request to Autodesk that ACE be able to create multiple sheets and that the sheet number be sequenced for each sheet base on user input for a starting number (sort of like the device tagging or re-tag command).

I am amazed at how much discussion this thread has gernerated!

Martin
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

Martin, Being able to automate the process is why most of us use ACE. As I suggested to Darren, until a better way to do it comes up, try grouping the drawings together in sequential order that will have consecutive sheet numbers. The from the update dialog box, check Sheet and Resequence sheet with "1-01" for your starting point (assuming "1" is the section number and "01" is the sheet number. Then check project wide and only highlight the group of drawings you want to resequence. Check "Process v" and then "OK". This will generate the sheet numbers for that group. Then repeat for each subsequent group. This may not be the best way but at least you will be able to automatically generate the sheet number values. Let me know if this makes any sense.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

<>

OK, but isn't this going to restart the script for each drawing? So how would I keep up with the last page number for a particular section? Is there a way to create a "global" variable in the project scope?

Darren
Message 18 of 21
testsubject

This was first posted in Newsreader but did not appear in the web browser....

Martin,

Being able to automate the process is why most of us use ACE. As I suggested
to Darren, until a better way to do it comes up, try grouping the drawings
together in sequential order that will have consecutive sheet numbers. The
from the update dialog box, check Sheet and Resequence sheet with "1-01" for
your starting point (assuming "1" is the section number and "01" is the
sheet number. Then check project wide and only highlight the group of
drawings you want to resequence. Check "Process v" and then "OK". This will
generate the sheet numbers for that group. Then repeat for each subsequent
group.

This may not be the best way but at least you will be able to automatically
generate the sheet number values.

Let me know if this makes any sense.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

Darren, You can save your data in a global lisp variable or, more crudely, write it out to a text file and read it back in, or ??. AcadE sets system variable LISPINIT to 0 which means that lisp variables you create while one drawing is open are preserved when you open the next drawing. Nate. "dlash" wrote in message news:15933282.1086800462175.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > <> > > OK, but isn't this going to restart the script for each drawing? So how would I keep up with the last page number for a particular section? Is there a way to create a "global" variable in the project scope? > > Darren
Message 20 of 21
pgstein

This thread is almost 4 years old now. I am wondering if anything has every been done in the newer versions to resolve this.

Basically, I want to be able to divide my project into sections and automatically update the sheet numbers based on each section, ie:

Schematics (Section 1)
1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3

Panel Layout (Section 2)
1 of 2
2 of 2

Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks a lot,
Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost