AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One-Line Components

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
874 Views, 13 Replies

One-Line Components

I'm having a problem with one-line components when it comes to tagging. Basically I have schematics which use normal symbols and one-line symbols within the same project. They are connector symbols as in plugs and sockets. The problem is when I do a project wide re-tag of components it appears to number them independently. And is therefore duplicating tags. Which means I get an X1 as normal schematic symbol and an X1 as a one-line symbol, which would be fine if they were two representations of the same connector, but they are not. I realise pairing up the one-line symbols with normal parent devices will negate the problem. However sometimes that's not what is wanted and will cause problems.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

I reported this problem earlier some time ago.  I think (and hope) it is in the queue to be fixed.  It creates extra work to manually return the tags to their previous state, before retag messed them up.  I feel your pain.  Perhaps someone from Autodesk can confirm that this defect will be corrected with a hotfix or service pack soon.  It is causing much headache for customers who use the one-line feature.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks Doug. To add to the problem, I'm finding that even when I eliminate all the standalone one-line symbols and leave just the normal schematic symbols and some one-line symbols that are associated with normal schematic symbols. And then do a retag in order to re-sequence all my tags, it breaks the association and pairs them up with other connectors totally unrelated connectors. Which basically means it's impossible to re-sequence your tags if you have one-line connectors within your schemes, unless you want a great deal of manual work putting it right 😞

Message 4 of 14
dougmcalexander

I've seen all of the above as well.  You just about have to wait until the last minute before release to associate one-line components, in order to avoid the problems.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 14

Can you post or send (pat.murnen@autodesk.com) me a project that I can try and reproduce this on? Have the project at the state right before you would run the retag. And if possible create a video (using Jing or something) of you doing the retag. Then I can make sure it gets looked at and confirmed. I was not able to find a logged issue that matches what you are describing.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 14

Hi Pat,

I added a one-line diagram page to the project that I have my course attendees build for JIC/NFPA training.  You will see in the JING video at the URL below that when I retag the active 3-line drawing that has 1-line peers, the retag operation appends the suffix "A" to the 3-line symbols.  It also updates the related footprints and 1-line symbols, so they are at least kept in sync, but there is no need for the software to append a suffix to the 3-line symbols anyway.  Note that this only happens to 3-line symbols that have a 1-line peer.

Link to video: http://screencast.com/t/RqaZo3HfxZz

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 14

Can you send me the drawings and project file?

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 14
mathalekar

Hello David,

Can you let us know which ACADE version that you are working with ? If possible please mention Service pack number if possible.

Regards,

Mayuresh

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mathalekar

I am using Product Version: E.208.0.0 Autocad Electrical 2011 Version 3. I am sorry I can't send any drawings as I am under a NDA which forbids me unless you sign the NDA too.

Message 10 of 14
mathalekar

Hello David,

In order to understand your issue clearly we require some reference drawings not essentially from project but atleast the way you are representing it in the drawing. It can be as simple as a schematic component and one line digram represntation that you are doing and no other details required. I believe with this minimal setup as well you will be able to illustrate the case. Please feel free to send details or discuss further  to mayuresh.athalekar@autodesk.com directly if you have some disclosure issues. on forum.

Message 11 of 14

Hello Doug,

with reference to your video , we have taken a note. This can be reproduced in very specific scenario and have noted the workflow to resolve.

Thanks for reporting.

Message 12 of 14

Hi Pat,

I have attached a modified version of WDDEMO that has a one-line drawing added to the end.  The one-line diagram references the Conveyer Motor on sheet 2.  Just open sheet 2 and retag the drawing.  You will see the tags of the components of the conveyer motor circuit toggle between having a suffix or not. 

And while we're on the subject of issues between 3-line and 1-line here is another issue.  If I scoot a symbol on the one-line drawing, AcadE wants to retag that symbol.  The one-line symbol tag should be driven by the 3-line symbol only, similar to the way a child contact doesn't retag when I move it from one rung to another, because its tag is derived from the location of the parent.  The 1-line symbols should function as a type of child in relation to their 3-line equivalent.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 14

Doug,

I will pass the drawings along to the person looking at these issues. Thanks.

Regarding one-line symbols - they are not treated as a child in most cases. This was a design decision made when one-line symbols were introduced. In the customer research there were a number of customers who wanted to drive the tags from the one-line. I would pick not to retag when you scoot the one-line but if you scoot the 3-line parent then pick to retag so it drives the tag.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 14

Interesting that a customer would want the 1-line symbol to act as a parent when it comes to tagging, especially since the 3-line symbols are the ones that are typically spread across numerous drawings, versus the 1-lines which are usually one or two drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost