AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Pin List Error - Anyone seen this before?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
drathak
383 Views, 2 Replies

Odd Pin List Error - Anyone seen this before?

When accessing my pin list using the Pin List Database Editor, I get the following error on load and occasionally as I try to scroll around in the underlying screen.  It seems to edit things fine, but that error troubles me.  We do have some massive pin list strings.  

This is the first time I've used the editor inside ACADE in some time as I usually build those strings in a spreadsheet and paste them directly into the catalog using MS Access.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: drathak

It appears that you may have overrun the number of entries allowed in the pin list string.  The pin list database was originally to track and serve the pin/terminal designations for relays and motor starters only, hence the field headings Coilpins and PinList.  Some of us, myself included, have used it for other devices (i.e. circuit breakers, switch disconnects, pilots lights, etc.) and it can be "fooled" into supporting this, as long as you select an appropriate first number (i.e. 1 for NO, 2 for NC, 3 for changeover, 4, for other, etc.).  You just have to consider the Coilpins field as Parent and the PinList field as Child.  But I'm sure there is a limitation as to how many characters the field can handle, especially since it was setup to support relays and motor starters, not large devices with scores of pin assignments.  Perhaps this is something Autodesk can enhance, so long as it doesn't result in any regression issues related to the normal function of the pin list database.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

I don't think it is the pinlist entry itself that has a limitation.* I think it is that particular dialog box.

As I mentioned before, the database entry is fine and working like a charm everywhere else.  So nothing is getting truncated where it matters.  Even the text boxes for the PINLIST strings show all the information.

For now I will just keep a watchful eye on things and hope it goes away with the 2014 upgrade.

*I have disovered that if you don't have the PINLIST attribute in the parent symbol, the XData entity ACADE adds DOES have a limit.

The more you know...

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost