AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
CAD-ICE
Message 21 of 49 (2,165 Views)

Re: New AutoCAD Electrical blog

12-03-2012 05:11 AM in reply to: murnenp

Hi Pat,

sorry to bring this up in this post but I have tried by sending a new tread on the forum but without any results.

The question I have regards what I would like to call "Intelligent publishing to pdf".

Some competitors to ACADE are offering this feature in various scales. To explain what it involves in a short matter I would say that when publishing project to pdf you also include the surer facilities such that you can surf in the pdf document similar to surfing in ACADE. Do you think that we can expect that this function will be integrated or not?

Thank´s again for all your support, Gary

Employee
murnenp
Message 22 of 49 (2,163 Views)

12-03-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: CAD-ICE

Gary,

AcadE does not currently provide this type of PDF output. For legal reasons I cannot comment on what might be in a future release.

I can tell you that this has been logged as a wish list item for a future release. This means that it is considered along with other items requested.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Pat

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Information Modeling and Platform Products Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
PLM3003
Message 23 of 49 (2,126 Views)

12-04-2012 01:03 PM in reply to: CAD-ICE

Hi Gary,

Autodesk has two solutions for electrical schematics: AutoCAD Electrical and AutoCAD ecscad.

AutoCAD ecscad has an 'intelligent' PDF publishing; including bookmarks (content list and device list), surf and navigate across crossreferences, text search, embedded data sheets and much more.

I do not know why Autodesk tells only selected customers about it. Like AutoCAD Electrical, Autodesk ecscad is also part of the Product Design Suite Premium and Ultimate.

Regards - Karl

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 24 of 49 (2,117 Views)

12-04-2012 01:22 PM in reply to: PLM3003

I thought ecscad was only sold in Europe....

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Contributor
PLM3003
Message 25 of 49 (2,112 Views)

12-04-2012 01:51 PM in reply to: testsubject

Hi Bob,

as far as I know, yes and no. I know that some customers using AutoCAD ecscad worldwide. I don't understand why not everyone can buy it everywhere. There are no technical reasons; e.g. AutoCAD ecscad supports JIC. It would be interesting to get an explanation. Maybe an interested customer should insist to get it. 

Regards - Karl

CAD-ICE
Message 26 of 49 (2,097 Views)

12-04-2012 04:10 PM in reply to: PLM3003

Hi Karl and thank´s for yor input in this matter.

I´m surpriced... what´s the reason for having two software packages doing the same work.

I thought that Autodesk was trying to increase their marketshare in Europe with Autocad Electrical. I haven´t heard much about ECSCAD but I would appreciate if you could give me some points. Are you stationed in Europe and are you using this software? Is this software something similar to Autocad Electrical?

Thank´s again for sharing your knowledge.

Regards, Gary

Contributor
PLM3003
Message 27 of 49 (2,073 Views)

12-05-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: CAD-ICE

Hi Gary,

you are right! I am from Europe and I am using AutoCAD ecscad (and from time to time also AutoCAD Electrical). With both products, AutoCAD Electrical and AutoCAD ecscad, you can create schematics (and all the additional stuff). Compared to AutoCAD Electrical, it is a database driven online system. The database contains all logical information and is at any time up-to-date. AutoCAD ecscad has no 'update cross references/sheet numbers' etc. functionality - it is not necessary, everything is always logical correct. There are of course some more differences. Unfortunately, there is no information in English on the Autodesk website. The product itself is fully localized (user interface, manual, ..) - English, French, German, ...

Attached an AutoCAD ecscad brochure.

Maybe someone from Autodesk has more information for you.

Best regards - Karl

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 28 of 49 (2,067 Views)

12-05-2012 11:51 AM in reply to: PLM3003

AutoCAD ecscad is not marketed in North America but companies with home offices in other parts of the world do acquire it and use it in North America.  I support some of these customers and helped implement ecscad with JIC and NFPA design formats for them, including the creation of catalog and article data.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
CAD-ICE
Message 29 of 49 (1,953 Views)

12-17-2012 04:26 PM in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi agian,

still wondering about Autodesk future plans for these two software platforms. Will both of them get the same attention for promotion on various markets? Are there plans to integrate the two into one or...?

Thx, Gary

Board Manager
leeholl
Message 30 of 49 (1,948 Views)

12-17-2012 08:03 PM in reply to: CAD-ICE

Autodesk is committed to the electrical engineering business and our customers worldwide. Different regions have unique expectations and our products are positioned to meet those needs. For competitive reasons, we choose not to discuss our future strategy in an open forum, but if you would like to contact me directly at lee.hollingworth@autodesk.com providing your name, contact information and reason for the interest, we can evalute the appropriateness of further discussion under a non-disclosure agreement.

Regards,
Lee

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community