AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

ZeeKay14
Message 1 of 3 (412 Views)

Need to "auto-rotate" symbols with Symbol Builder

412 Views, 2 Replies
05-01-2013 07:41 AM

I am using Symbol Builder to populate my symbol library with existing company CAD blocks.

I like how autoCAD Electrical library's original symbols have properties that allows the symbols to rotate according to whether you drop it on a horizontal or vertical wire. 

I was experimenting with the 'Radial / None' option for wire connections, which didn't work the way I hoped.

Then I tried the 'Rotation' option in the 'Block Authoring Palettes - All Palettes' pop up box. I was concerned that it only let the rotation go in the counter-clockwise direction, but went ahead, saved it, and inserted it into the library to test. With no luck, it did not rotate on it's own. I am attaching a screen shot of me using the 'Rotation' function.

Untitled.png

Is there something I am missing with either of those two functions to "auto-rotate" the symbol, or is it a different function altogether? 
*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 2 of 3 (390 Views)

Re: Need to "auto-rotate" symbols with Symbol Builder

05-01-2013 03:09 PM in reply to: ZeeKay14

ACADE cheats in that they have two (2) seperate blocks for each component. One drawn in a vertical orientation and one drawn in a horizontal orientation.

The file names for the two blocks are almost exactly the same. The only difference is the first character which changes between V (for vertical blocks) and H (for horizontal blocks).

When you insert a block, ACADE checks the wire you are placing it on, and selects the correct block to deal with the wire.

The second and third characters of the file name are usually the family of the component. The fourth character is either a 1 (for a parent block) or a 2 (for a child block).

The fifth character is another reserved slot for ACADE's use and after that, you can name the block what you like.

Some blocks (Terminals for example) have special names which don't conform to this standard but these are limited in number.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Distinguished Contributor
s.wile
Message 3 of 3 (351 Views)

Re: Need to "auto-rotate" symbols with Symbol Builder

05-07-2013 05:04 AM in reply to: ZeeKay14

Since you haven’t responded I'll elaborate a bit more.

You build two blocks as Icemanau said. Their names are exactly the same except for the first letter. One starting with H and the other starting with a V. (Be sure to follow the rest of the naming as stated by Icemanau above)

Now as you move/insert components between horizontal and vertical wires Electrical will recognize the wire orientation and choose the appropriate block.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community