AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW issue with Wire Numbers!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
cbenner
853 Views, 10 Replies

NEW issue with Wire Numbers!

OK,... these wire numbers are very close to making me go back to striaght up ACAD for my schematics.

Can anyone explain why a wire layoer that is marked as a "no wire number" layer.... gets wire numbers?  What's the point of setting the wire number status to "NO", it the system is going to go ahead and number these wires anyway?

Sorry for the rant, but it would be quicker and less painfull for me to number my wires manually with a pencil than it is to figure out the correct and working way to do it in ACADE.

Everyone go back to their knitting, rant over.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sonny3g
in reply to: cbenner

Just curious, did the wire have a destination arrow on it?  I think that would override the setting for that drawing.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 11
testsubject

Chris,

The wire numbering is controlled by a fewof things. If you have a terminal that has two different wires going to it and one of then has "Wire Numbering" turned on, it will assign a wire number to the layer with it turned off.If you have the wire layer on one drawing with wire numbers turned on and then use a source arrow to jump to a different drawing with a destination arrow to a wire layer with wire numbering turned off, the wire will get a wire number.

There are more but those are the first couple that come to mind.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 11
johnq
in reply to: testsubject

HI all

I have had that problem too.  ACE2012  Stupid isnt it!   I just put it dowe to ACE being buggy.  I am not under time constraints so it is easy for me to just correct it.

Cheers  John Quigley

Message 5 of 11
jbunch55

Hey Bob,

I think I'm having the same issue with wire numbers on layer "WIRENO_HIDE".

If I hide a wirenumber, using the Hide Wirenumber tool, it doesn't stay hidden once I close reopen the drawing; basically the layer doesn't stay frozen. Is there a work around that will keep this layer frozen? I also want to freeze the "XREFCHILD" layer too, so I would greatly appreciate some help with this..

Thanks,

James Bunch

Message 6 of 11
cbenner

I haven't had time to thouroughly vet this solution, but I was advised to run a repai on my installation, and the drawing I was initially having trouble with seems to be working fine now.  I am cautiously optimistic, but I have been on Inventor work for several days and haven't had time to try out wire numbering on any other drawings that I was having issues with.

Message 7 of 11
jbunch55

Chris,

I actually just figured out why freezing a layer wasn't working for me.

It technically had nothing to do with ACADE.

I know next to nothing about Lisps but I went through my  "S::STARTUP" lisp in Acaddoc.lsp and found a line with this code "(command "._LAYER" "T" "*" "")". Once I commented the line out it stopped thawing my layers when ever I open a drawing.

I would like to keep this line in the lisp but maybe after it have a line or two to freeze some particular layers

How would I have  to modify the lisp to freeze a layer like "XREFCHILD",

Thanks

James

Message 8 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: jbunch55

Good morning all!

I got the chance to get back into some of my schematics this morning, and took the opportunity to re-wire number a several page project.  I added a few wire types that were set to "no wire number", used the project utilities to erase all wire numbers and then ran the wire number utility.  All wire numbers came in as expected, on the right wires, starting from the right number...

I think it may be safe to say that a repair on my ACADE installation was the answer to all my woes with wire numbers... aside from my not being an electrical guy, and not really understanding half of what I'm doing.  Smiley Tongue

It's just good to know that I'm not a complete idjit.

Message 9 of 11

I would like to resurrect this thread as I want to understand what is happening.

In this circuit, the terminals are the same, and the wire layers are the same.  The left wires are on a layer to be numbered.  The wired (green) on the right are on a layer NOT to be numbered.

Notice they are treated differently.   The ground wire gets a number yet the other three do not.  WHY?

stevencoxVCM6J_0-1666190343779.png

If I change the wire from the ground symbol to the syms layer, the green wire will NOT get numbered.  It is simple enough to control, but I want to understand what the differences are in the two.

Any ideas?

AE 2023

Thanks, Steven

Message 10 of 11
testsubject

Well, I can tell you why it is numbered 2005. Wire numbers by default are numbered top down, left to right. The ground wire end is a little higher than the L3 wire on the motor symbol.

As to why it placed the number there, I am not sure.

There are few ifs involved with wire numbers.

If all the wires on the left are on a layer that is set to have a wire number, the wires on the right will inherit that wire number regardless of which layer it is on.

The type of terminal used will also affect this. If you are using terminals that allow wire number pass thru, this will also happen. (The terminal with Wire change will not.)

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 11 of 11

I will just move the field wires to a non wire layer.  That will get them off my terminal list and help keep wire  numbers as expected.

I wish there was a better solution for this.

Thanks!

Steven

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost