AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MULTIPLE PARTS CATALOG DESCRITPIONS

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
AcadE2014
3980 Views, 11 Replies

MULTIPLE PARTS CATALOG DESCRITPIONS

Hello All,

I have 11+ standard items that are on every BOM I create and want to put them on a single symbol and have all the parts come into the BOM.

I cannot get the descriptions to come into the BOM from this symbol.

My symbol has CAT01 and MFG01 thru CAT11 and MFG11 attributes on it.

The catalog look up I assign to this symbol has a textvalve of CAT01=xxx;MFG=xxx;CAT02=xxxx;MFG02=xxx,etc thru CAT11=xxx;MFG11=XXX

The CAT01 has the same lookup table assigned to it as the main catalog look up I assigned and the description come through on it.

CAT02 and after has no table assigned to it hence it imports no descriptions.

All of the CAT01-11 part numbers are present in the catalog.

Is there any way to assign the lookup table for CAT02 CAT03 etc through the main catalog data lookup?

attached is the symbol I am using

Thanks for any help you can provide

Dennis

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
david_brude
in reply to: AcadE2014

Hi Dennis,

Your symbol wasn't attached.

Are you wanting to place this symbol in the schematic or panel?

Regards,

David

Message 3 of 12
AcadE2014
in reply to: david_brude

Sorry,

Attached is the symbol.

I was inserting it as a schematic symbol not I am not opposed to inseting it as a panel footprint

Thanks

Dennis

Message 4 of 12
drathak

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your need, but have you looked at the ASSEMBLYCODE & ASSEMBLYLIST attributes as a way to do this?

For example, I have a symbol for a GPS antenna in my designs.  It always has some additional hardware used in the installation and connection of that antenna.  When I insert the symbol and select the antenna from the database, a code stored with that entry as well as the entries for all the other parts causes them to all show up on the BOM.  Each of the subassembly components has the same code in the ASSEMBLYLIST attribute.  This is how the program associates them.

In the images below you can see the component edit screen with the antenna catalog item chosen.  You can see the ASSEMBLYCODE circled in red.  

The next image shows the catalog record for this main part.  The records for the additional parts have the same code in the ASSEMBLYLIST field and are marked "As subassembly"

Running the "Catalog Check" from the edit component screen shows that all of the needed parts are in the BOM. (Third image.)

The nice thing about this is that if by chance I needed JUST the antenna, say to replace a damaged one, I just have to remove the ASSEMBLY code from the instance in my drawing and the other parts won't be pulled.

Hope this helps.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 12
drathak

@AcadE2014 wrote:

Sorry,

Attached is the symbol.

I was inserting it as a schematic symbol not I am not opposed to inseting it as a panel footprint

Thanks

Dennis

Well it looks a lot like a nameplate symbol except the attributes are wrong.  I take it this has no wiring associated with it?  If not, then a panel footprint is probably the way to go.  Maybe if you give us a bit more information on how this is intended to be used it would help us help you.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 6 of 12
david_brude
in reply to: drathak

Dennis,

I don't think the software is capable of handling several mfg and cat entries for one symbol.

I think Joe's suggestion of using the sub assembly is probably the easiest way. You didn't say what the items were that you wanted to include. Are they hardware items? For example, would the items actually be located in different tables within the catalog? If that is the case you would have to copy those entries into the table where the parent part is located and create the assylist.

Regards,

David

Message 7 of 12
AcadE2014
in reply to: david_brude

Thanks for your replies.

What I am trying to do is use the catalog look up to fill in the multiple catalog part numbers automatically.

By doing the CAT01 and MFG01 it will add to the multiple catalog numbers to the symbol. I have added up to 50 parts this way. It brings in each CAT number and MFG number correctly, no issues with it doing that.

The issue is it is not bringing in the descriptions with them and the reason it is not bringing in the description is it doesn't bring in the lookup table for any of the multiple catalog numbers except the first one, all others have blank lookup tables. if I simply add in the table to each multiple catalog item, the description come in. I am looking for a way to add in the tables automaticlly just like the CAT and MFG are being added

Attached is a word doc that shows how it works and you will see how the descriptions do not come in.

To answer your replies:

Drathak--I have tried the assembly code and list before. Unless something has changed the last time I tried the assy codes you cannot assign item numbers to the parts in the assembly code, which it something that we need to do here.

With the panel footprint I am not sure this wouldn't have the same effect but I will try to do it with that....I assume I would have to run a 2nd report for the footprint BOM and do not know it the item numbering will work with a footprint as I believe it is looking for the schematic symbol to get the item number.

David--The software is capable of adding in 99 catalog numbers I have actually added in 50 part numbers under 1 symbol catalog number in the past, the only issue is the description are not come in.

Again thank you for your replies they are greatly appreciated!!!

Message 8 of 12
dougmcalexander

In order to load Multiple Catalog entries by only looking up a main part number, the textvalue field must include MFG01=manufacturer;CAT01=part number;WDBLKNAM01=tablename;MFG02=manufacturer;CAT02=part number;WDBLKNAM02=tablename; etc. up to 99.

Hint: The WDBLKNAM01 etc. attributes are optional, but necessary if there are Multiple Catalog part entries that are not in the same table as the main part.

The symbol block must also have these attributes added. You will also need to add to the symbol a WDBLKNAM01 up to 99 attribute, loaded with the table name as its value, if the table for a subassembly part is different than the one for the main part.

Hint: When you assign Multiple Catalog entries yourself, AutoCAD Electrical adds this data as xdata; no attribute needed. But when you wish to have the software add the subassembly data to the block automatically when you Lookup a main part number, the attributes have to already exist in the symbol block. AutoCAD Electrical will simply fill in the attribute values for the Multiple Catalog parts. The attributes can be added to both the schematic symbol and the footprint symbol.

Get this all set up properly and your BOM will include the description data for each subassembly part, when using Multiple Catalog instead of Assembly Code. The Assembly Code method is quicker to set up but all subassembly parts share the same item number as their main part. I only use Multiple Catalog when the subassembly parts must have their own unique item number.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 9 of 12
AcadE2014
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug,

Thanks that works as expected now.

One more question.

Is there a way to put in a count for each part using this system?

FYI, even if the multiple catalog parts were in the same lookup table as the main part lookup table, every one after the first 1 came in with no description.

Message 10 of 12
dougmcalexander

Use CNT01 for count. Use UM01 for unit if measure.

I've never had an issue with descriptions showing up for parts in the same table. Not sure what might be wrong there.

Again, this is all much simpler if you can use Assembly Code.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 11 of 12
jalger

HI Dennis,

I know you have it working now, but just as another thought (and Maybe Something a little easier).

Why not have the 11+ items as individual Blocks that you can insert (make them a dot) and have them in a template file.

Make two Copies of your template:

One with all of the items already in it. (so most of the time you use this one)

and

One without the items.(for special Cases).

Then you insert whichever ones you need from the Icon menu, since they will be dots place it on the title block and no one knows its there.

Or use a combination of the ideas; have the one symbol with everything, then individual ones that you can call in if you need to,

and have a completed template file.

Like I siad just an idea, if it helps great, if not no worries. Smiley Wink

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 12 of 12
shuhn

Doug,

I have a footprint I created for some general hardware.  There are 3 MFG and CAT attributes (MFG, MFG01, MFG02, CAT, CAT01, CAT02) for the 3 part numbers involved, with default values for all.  All 3 components are in the DN table of the catalog, and there is no WDBLKNM value in the footprint, but the 3rd one is the only one that doesn't look in the DN table by default.  I don't understand then, why do the 1st two look at the DN table, while the last one doesn't know what to look at?  How does it know to look at any table at all if the WDBLKNM attribute has no value? 

Another component, slightly different situation, but there is a value in the WDBLKNM, and only the first two part numbers look in the correct table.  The 3rd doesn't know which to look in.

Steve Huhn

Tennessee Rand Co.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost