AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of default_cat database is read-only

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rfbutts
1920 Views, 6 Replies

Location of default_cat database is read-only

Running Windows 7 & ACADe 2011.  Trying to add entries into the default_cat database.  Keeps giving me the error:  "The location of the catalog database is read-only, please ensure that you have write access to the location and the file and try again."  The default_cat file is located in "My Documents\Acade2011\Aedata\Catalogs" so it should not be read-only, even though the directory does indicate there is a read-only file within.

I've tried to reset 'read-only' file attributes.  Doesn't work.

Set to run ACADe as administrator.  Doesn't work.

Reinstalled ACADe 2011.  No improvement.

Went back to the latest restore point.  No change.

Tried a few other web solutions to Windows 7 read-only file issues with no improvement.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: rfbutts

Have you tried copying the file to a different location, and then removing the Read Only setting.

If that works, just point ACADE to the new location and then delete the old one.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 7
rfbutts

The default_cat.mdb file does not have a 'read-only' setting.  Only the folder.  Read on the internet how moving a file to a public directory might help.  Tried it.  Without complete success.

Adjusted startup properties for Acade 2011 to run as administrator.  Also adjusted my user id under security to Full Control.

I now am totally messed up.  I seem to be able to insert a new record sometimes but can't edit the record.  Getting very inconsistent results and I'm learning that this directory 'read-only' problem is pretty wide-spread with Windows 7.

Rick

Message 4 of 7
Icemanau

Have you read this thread yet?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

It goes into the why's and wherefores of the problem in windows 7 and how to fix it using the command line.

Apparently the folders can't have their read only setting changed in the settings drop down but works when using the command line.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 5 of 7
rfbutts

Thanks for the link!  Using the ATTRIB command appears to have finally solved the issue. 

One additional note:  While using the ATTRIB command, I kept gettting 'Parameter format not correct' errors.  Finally found the solution:  When subdirectory names have spaces in them, you need to put the entire "c:\subdirectory structure\" in quotes.  That solved the final issue.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
sam.lamb

I found this thread as I was looking for help with the same issue.  I found that the issue could possibly originate from having too long of a name for "assemblycode" in your catalog.  Once I shortened the name, I didn't have this problem anymore.  Just FYI.

Thanks,

Sam

Message 7 of 7
carkar9DAJU

Symptom

I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2015, and my "default_cat.mdb" is located on the server. we are three guys sharing the same database and as long as nobody using the data base I can read/write the data base from ACE or Microsoft access without any problem, and it does make sense so you don't get corrupted data if two people are editing the same table. but in my case if any of the Mechanical guys that are using inventor and if they start inventor before I start my ACE they are locking the "Default_cat.mdb" as well and I don't know why.

the electrical engineers are the only ones with full access to the folder on the server and the rest has only read/execute access. 

1. Is there anybody if you guys are using inventor while using ACE?

2. Is there anybody know how to disconnect inventor from ACE? 

Regards

Carlos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost