AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Name Format Bug?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dbrblg
298 Views, 2 Replies

Layer Name Format Bug?

On the Create/Edit Wire Type dialog box there is a option to choose a Layer Name Format.  Should this be specific to each layer?  That is each layer can have a different Layer Name Format?

I believe it should do.  Logically it fits in with the Color, LineType and LineWeight buttons as they are specific to each layer so I would expect the Layer Name Format to be also.

The problem I have is when I change the Layer Name Format it changes for all layers and not the seleted one.  I would like to have one or two of the layers with a different format but it seems this is not possible (at least not here anyway).

So is this a bug or deliberate?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: dbrblg

I think you may have misinterpreted the Layer Name Format field.  The Create/Edit Wire Type dialog includes fields where you fill in wire color, wire size, and up to 20 user-defined fields.  As you enter data into these fields, the data can be written into the layer name field for you.  The Layer Name Format field is where you define in which order you would like the layer name to be created.  %C_%S means color first, followed by an underscore, and then size.  If you add _%1 at the end of the layer name format, any data you type into the USER1 field will become part of the wire layer name.  This is all just "training wheels" because you can type the full layer name directly into the Layer Name field without filling in any other field.  Don't forget to select a line type and color for your wire entry.  I use a black background and I like to color my red wires red, blue wires blue, ground as green, etc.  I use index color 251 or 252 (dark shades of gray)for black so it shows up against my black background.  I use magenta for a layer I call JumperBar, to show the physical jumper between terminals that create a bus.

Note: The "training wheels" method is a one-shot deal.  If you discover after the wire layer is created that you made an error in the Color field and spelled BLK as BKK, correcting the spelling in the Color field will not correct the layer name.  You must right-click over the layer name and select Rename Layer.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
dbrblg
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks for the explanation Doug, 

Seems to clear things up quite a bit.  It is a little confusing though and I can see a new user potentially falling into this trap Smiley Indifferent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost