AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Import doesn't import everything

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kghew1
406 Views, 6 Replies

Layer Import doesn't import everything

AE 2015, using project-wide utilities to import wire layers set from master drawing :

Layer names, colours and linetypes import / overwrite OK, but those lovingly-crafted lineweights all revert to default in the target drawing(s).

Tellingly, 'Setup' in PW Utilities (excruciatingly snail-esque to load) has options for numbering settings, colours & linetypes, but not lineweights.

Annoying, as layer set is large & weights vary a lot, though not insurmountable - i.e. copy a set of samples into purged target drawing(s), then delete

but it would be better if the import feature itself actually worked properly.

NB Autodesk, if there is a fix for this : as big layer sets take a while to import, some indication of progress might be nice.

Regards

Keith H

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sonny3g
in reply to: kghew1

I prefer to have a script file that does all my layer work so I can have better control and run it on individual drawings outside of the project wide utilities.  Then, when I need to run it for the project I use the project utilities to run the script.  That way, if the layer configuration changes I can update the script file once for all.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 7
dougmcalexander

Permit me to add to Scott's advice?  I agree about scripts.  I've been using the software since long before version 2011, which introduced the ability to copy wires from one drawing to another.  So how did we handle this situation back then?  Scripts, when necessary, but actually, it was rare that I needed the script.  It's all about workflow and setup.  Just load all of the wire types you will need into the smart drawing template that you use to start each new drawing; the one that includes the Drawing Properties and Title Block Update mapping.  This way you will have no need to copy wires from one drawing to another.  Okay, there is the occasion when maybe you need to borrow a 350 circular mils wire that you might not normally have in your template but may have used on another project once upon a time, in a land far, far away (just kidding).  In other words, having to copy loads of wires from one drawing to another means your template is not set up for optimum efficiency.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 7
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

The biggest reason I like the script file is because I work on drawings that others create and do not have all the layers that it should.  Also, I will often purge ALL project wide (also a script file I run using the Project Wide utility) to clean up a lot of extraneous junk.  Usually at or near the end of a project.  Occasionally, the customer comes back and we have to re-work something in the project and all I have to do then is run the script in the affected drawings to put the missing layers back if I need them.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 5 of 7
Icemanau

I have had no problems with importing layer states using the Layer States Manager. The set line widths come in correctly.

Export your layer states to a LAS file from the master dwg.

Import it into the new dwg that requires the layers.

About the only thing that doesn't get transferred this way is the description which is not all that important in the dwgs.

The Layer States Manager is accessable from the Layer Properties Manager. It's the third button along from the left at the top.

To export your layer states, first of all, click save to save the current layer states within the dwg.

Next click the Export button. Save the file (make sure it uses the LAS file type) in your required location. I use a general purpose ACAD directory for this.

To import, you just click on the Import button, navigate to your LAS file's location and select the file. If it is not showing, check the file type that ACADE is looking for.

Allow any operations that ACADE wants to do, which includes restoring the layer states and you are finished..

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
sonny3g
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

I like to use layer states too.  Unfortunately, if you do not have the linetypes already existing in the drawing then you get a notice that they were not found and the linetype defaults to Continuous.  So, I like to have the script file or a blank drawing with all of the layers and linetypes that can be inserted into an active drawing.  Otherwise, I wind up using LAS, then loading any missing linetypes and running LAS a second time.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 7 of 7
jalger

Hi Keith,

I would recommend making a template file. (with all layers and line types steup properly.)

For the Import *Make sure you are using the Import in Create/Edit Wire Type*

If you Flag "Update any Layer Colour or linetype differences" It seems to be Pulling in the lineweight Correctly. (tested with 50 layers... seems ok)

Also Make sure you have "Show/ HIde Line weight" set to show (otherwise you will not see the lineweight, and double check that the Lineweights are in the "Master" drawing. (maybe the line weights were overrides, and were not part of the layer)

If you're pushing you styles onto a customer supplier drawing ( and Import is not Working), I would Import the layers, and set the layer state.

I.e.

Export a Layer state from the "Master" Drawing.  (save it in a location you can easiler find) (Make sure it has all of the layer you want change)

Import the wire layers from the "Master" Drawing, on the clients drawing.

Import the layer State from the "Master" Drawing. All layers (that exist) should update to the proper Linewieght.

or

Open up a new file (from the Master template), and Copy and paste the client drawing in, then resolve the layers.

Quick select will probably help you out with Resolving the layers (Multi-select by layer).

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost