AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a specific component for TERMINAL BLOCK CONNECTION along a wire?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
506 Views, 3 Replies

Is there a specific component for TERMINAL BLOCK CONNECTION along a wire?

Using ACADE 2014.  Is there a specific component for labeling the IN & OUT locations of a wire connection on a specific terminal block?  I'm guessing there's a specific way to do this that I haven't learned yet.  I'd like to label the wire connection to a terminal block (IN) and then list the connection number out of the terminal block (OUT) directly on the schematic drawing.  I've been using a set of wire number components like this:

ScreenHunter_194 Jul. 01 15.27.jpg

And then hiding some of the attributes to reduce space needed.  So, this says that the first wire comes into terminal block TB01 which is in PNL01 on DIN RAIL X1 and the tie IN point is M2L1.1 (top connection) and the OUT point is M2L1.2 (bottom connection).  This provides the info I want, I'd just like to be able to do it quicker (yes, I can create my own special symbol if that's the only way but I'm guessing there must be something standard avaiable to do this).  Any suggestions on a quicker method?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

You can mark terminal connections as internal or external.  You can do it from the schematic symbol side (see attached image) or wait until you are using the Terminal Strip Editor to insert the graphical strip into the panel layout.  You have the option to move one terminal, or a group of terminals, from external to internal, or vice versa.  The wire numbers will be shown according to which side of the block they are assigned to.  

Hint: Use the terminal symbol that forces a wire number change, so you can differentiate which wire is internal and which one is external, once the strip is inserted into the panel layout.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Sorry but not sure I understand what you're saying.  I'm somewhat new to this so I apologize.  Is there a specific definition for internal and external with respect to a terminal block?  Our terminal blocks (WAGO) are generally mounted vertically and we standardized on tie point numbering starting from 1 at the TOP and increasing by 1 to the BOTTOM (that's the .1 & .2 on block label M2L1 shown above) [if we use a horizontal mount then tie point numbering starts at 1 at the LEFT].  The symbol I used (in the image above) WAS the Square with Number Change (HT1001) but how does that relate to the internal/external definition ?  So to get the complete information I'm looking to embed in the schematic is the only option to use 2 of the HT1001 symbols like I did (of course I will construct my own special symbol if this is my only option).  And how will the internal/external definitions relate to all of this?  Or is there a better way?

In general, is it better to define the terminal contact points on the schematic first or in the panel layout?  That's another issue with the best work flow that I haven't really solved yet.  I generally find it easiest to work from the schematic but I could go either way.  Really appreciate any guidance you can provide.  Thanks alot.

Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, it is all about workflow.  That's why I teach a workflow-based course for AutoCAD Electrical.  

The wire numbers in the schematic will carry over to the graphical terminal strip.  I do strips the same way as you describe, sequentially numbered.  We go though all of this in class.  The internal/external assignment is relative to placement and orientation.  In the attached example, the main power wires are supplied from an external source, marked as GND, L1, L2, L3, etc.  The internal wires are connected to switchgear inside of the panel.  The wire numbers match up with their schematic equivalent symbols, because the TSE gets its data from the schematic.  But I find it easier to assign internal/external with the TSE, while I have the entire strip in view, and I have decided whether the strip will be mounted vertically or horizintally.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost