AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Wire Type layer only for wires?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
awestfall
1193 Views, 9 Replies

Is Wire Type layer only for wires?

In my project somehow other non-wire layers have been added to the Wire Type table.  Such as WIRENO, WIREREF, WIRE SIZE.

Isn't this table only for wires?  How could they be automatically added to this table.  So since my WIRE SIZE layer is in this table when I ran the tag update it put wire numbers by all my wire size loops.  How do you remove non-wires from this table?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jalger
in reply to: awestfall

Hi awestfall,

Well you could have flagged the "Make all lines Valid Wires" by accident.

Not sure why your layers ended up in there (not the first time I have seen this though.).

You have several options,

1. Change the wire numbering to "NO" (easy fix but not the best way of fixing it)

2. Change all of the items on those layers to another layer temporarily, then delete those layers (use remove layers in the edit wire layer dialog box)

Simply insert a new component and wire tag - LET AUTOCAD RECREATE the layers for you then reassign the items back to their origninal layer.

3. Copy Circuit... Copy the entire page on to a new page (start a template with clean wire numbers)..

Use wblock for this method then you should be ok, DO NOT COPY AND PASTE USING CTRL C & CTRL V ( it can break the AutoCAD Links).

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 10
awestfall
in reply to: jalger

If I'm just using the default "WIRES' (for now)

What other wire types should be in this table?  ACADE keeps putting WIRENO, WIREREF, WIRECOPY etc. in this table.

I tought this was wires only, so why are automatically added.

I did NOT run "Make all lines Valid Wires"

Message 4 of 10
rhesusminus

If you copy this line into the command line, and press enter, what do AcadE say are wire layers?

(setq SelectionSet (ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT")(2 . "WD_M"))))(setq Entity (ssname SelectionSet 0))(c:wd_getattrval Entity "WIRELAYS")

Seems like it's set to "WIRE*" instead of "WIRES*"

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 10
awestfall

It says "WIR*"!  I'm guessing that '*' is the problem.

1.  What should it be?  WIRES?

2.  How to fix it?

3.  Any clue how it got this way?

Thanks for the reply 

Message 6 of 10
rhesusminus

1) It should be "WIRES*"

2) I can create a VBA-macro that fixes it. You can't just change the WIRELAYS-attibute in the WD_M block. You also have to remove som XDATA from the layers, that says that they are a wire layer.

3) Nope, no idea.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 10
awestfall
in reply to: rhesusminus

That must be the ACADE default because I didn't change???

Anyways I went to the project manager, other tools to edit the WD_M block.

Changed the wirelay value from "wir*" to "wires"

Updated the WD_M block in each drawing.

Now I can actually use the remove layers button from the wire type table.

Thanks for your help

Message 8 of 10
jalger

Hi awestfall,

Yes the Default layer should be "Wires" Think of it like layer "0: from regular AutoCAD. (Don't Delete it or rename it).

Not Sure why you would need a Script to Clean this, I have seen this several times and everytime it was fixed by moving the Drawing enities to another layer, Removing the problem layer (use Remove layer in the Wire layer Editor), and letting AutoCAD Electrical recreate the layer (By Placing a new Component with the default layers), and setting them back to the original layer. ( you May need to re-assign the colours if the reset to Colour 7 [White/Black] )

How does this happen? , Well its hard to say but the two Main Reasons it happens are:

1. a corrupt database (usually a corrupt project database) Below is the path to the Default Location for the Project database. 

(C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2014\R19.1\enu\Support\User)

If you have other "strange" things happening in the project then its usually the Project database.

Its possible it created the AutoCAD Electrical default layers in the Wire Layers section because the Normal Layer management tools were not availible.

2.a corrupt drawing, This could happen when AutoCAD Decides to Shutdown in the middle of your work.  

Run both Audit commands, Audit (from the Main Menu (big "A") goto Drawing Utilities then select Audit) , and DWG audit (Located on the reports Tab)

There are other reasons it could happen, and its hard to tell.

I would say if you had a rough shutdown on the machine its likely the reason it did that.

( I also Remember there being an issue with one RTM Version doing this) 

Update your Service packs to the latest if you haven't and see if the issue happens again.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 9 of 10
rhesusminus

Just for the fun of it... Here's a VBA macro that automates your process.

You will need the VBA enabler for AutoCAD if you don't already have it (something wrong with Autodesk's link, so heres the cached link):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dd5s3EdQk9gJ:www.autodesk.com/vba-download+&cd=...

Unpack the attached ZIP-file to some place.

Use VBALOAD to load the DVB-file and VBARUN to run the macro:

Capture.png

This will bring up a dialog that displays all layers marked as "wire layers". Just select the layer you want to keep as wire layers, and press Update Wire Layer Status
Capture.png

This macro both removes the layers from the create/edit wire types dialog and updates the WD_M-block.

When you're done with all the sheets, run a prosject update with the AEREBUILDDB command.

Maybe you should check your template drawing as well, so you don't copy this error to new drawings?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 10 of 10
howe.donald
in reply to: rhesusminus

I have a similar problem.  How do you access the xdata of a wire type layer?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost