AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent ground symbol

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
926 Views, 5 Replies

Intelligent ground symbol

Any idea how to make an intelligent ground symbol that doesn't have a number in the tag name? I would like the tag name to just be GND.

Thanks
Chad
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MartinLee
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not aware of any method to not put a number on the tag. If you don't want the number part, you may have to manually edit the tag name. But waht's wrong with the number being there? As in having GND1? But that's for a ground bar or lug. I have a "non-intelligent" ground symbol for misc. chassis grounding, etc.
Message 3 of 6
testsubject

If you open up the symbol, you can set the default value for TERM01 to whatever you want. I created seperate terminals for the ones that I use that always have the same value, i.e. "G", N".

I realize that this is making duplicates of the same symbol, but if I do not have to do anything but insert it, it is worth it.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Chad, The existing ground symbols come in as "parent" symbols and therefore AcadE wants to force the tag name to be unique for each instance. Hence the incrementing numbers. But, if you change the ground symbol so that AcadE thinks it's a "child" symbol, then it won't auto-increment the tag. So, try this... change the "TAG1" attribute on the ground symbol to be "TAG2F" (or create a new ground symbol with this attribute name change). This will force it to be a "fixed child" tag. Then, I believe the symbols will come in with a fixed default value (whatever you define on the TAG2F attribute). This may trigger some exceptions when you run the cross-reference report, but, other than that, it may give you the results you're looking for. Nate. "fdna49" wrote in message news:18210650.1086125648117.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > Any idea how to make an intelligent ground symbol that doesn't have a number in the tag name? I would like the tag name to just be GND. > > Thanks > Chad
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks Nate,
I will give it a try and post back to let you know

Chad
Message 6 of 6
douyi

Hi Nate,

I tried your way, but when I opened the GND2.dwg file, I can't find "TAG1" attribute, there is no block defined in that drawing, only a ground symbol (3 lines) and "X2TERM01", I delete that one, recreate by using "MISC/BLK", defined the symbol as a child, saved as HGND3.dwg.

After insert that symbol, when I automatically generate the wire numbers, it began searching the entire project to find out a parent symbol, after nothing find out, it generate a number, not "GND".

Did I do something wrong?

By the way, I cannot define the default value for the wire which will connect to the ground symbol.

I'm looking forward your reply. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost