AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instrumentation / Loop Diagrams and AutoCAD Electrical (?)

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
5451 Views, 18 Replies

Instrumentation / Loop Diagrams and AutoCAD Electrical (?)

All,

This loop diagram question comes up from time to time.
1. Is this of any interest?
2. Do you (as an AutoCAD Electrical user) get involved with creating
instrumentation / loop diagrams and such?
3. Would you see benefit in doing either with a single package, if a single
package could possibly do both?
4. Do your loop diagrams and instrumentation drawings routinely
cross-reference to your electrical controls design?
5. ??

Please reply here or email privately nate.holt@autodesk.com

thanks!
Nate.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
sgsawdy
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes Nate, it would be useful in one package. Instrumentation and loop diagrams are often integrated with schematics so having them in the same package and able to utilize cross referencing would be great.

Scott
Message 3 of 19
rjtcm1

Nate,
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Both
4) Yes
As requested back in 2003 and 2004.
Rick
Message 4 of 19
franklk

I think I'd like to see sort of a loop diagram generator. I often envision using it like terminal strip table generator. Most of the information needed for my loops is put on my drawing. I might have to make some adjustments about how I make the control drawings but it would be a minor sacrifice to generate loops in an easier fashion.

I would be very interested in this. If it existed in any form I would make the case we need it and I would get it.

So in short:

1. Is this of any interest?
Yes!

2. Do you (as an AutoCAD Electrical user) get involved with creating
instrumentation / loop diagrams and such?
Yes.
3. Would you see benefit in doing either with a single package, if a single
package could possibly do both?
I would greatly desire a report or generator type tool in ACADE that could do either but it seems a single separate package would be able to do both. it should be a lot of the same stuff.

4. Do your loop diagrams and instrumentation drawings routinely
cross-reference to your electrical controls design?

Yes.
Message 5 of 19
ltuk

Nate,
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Ideally a package that could do both.
4) Yes

Thanks
LTUK
Message 6 of 19
Wbunker

I am very interested in automating the loop diag process. Our loop diagrams cross to PLC schematics and to control diagrams (motor control schematics). Since I am just getting started with AcadE, not sure what is already there. Message was edited by: Wbunker
Message 7 of 19
quistjm

Ditto
Pronto
Por favor
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Nate,

1. Is this of any interest? Yes.

2. Do you (as an AutoCAD Electrical user) get involved with creating instrumentation / loop diagrams and such? Yes.

3. Would you see benefit in doing either with a single package, if a single package could possibly do both? Yes.

4. Do your loop diagrams and instrumentation drawings routinely cross-reference to your electrical controls design? Yes.

5. What do the loop diagrams look like for Manufacturing? Why I am asking is our company does Consulting Engineering not Manufacturing. Would there be any difference between Consulting Engineering loop diagrams and Manufacturing loop diagrams?

Thanks.
Hinschberger.
Message 9 of 19
srobinson

Yes,Yes, Both, and Yes, I have done 4 projects over the last year involving loops and have done my best to automate it. Would have saved me a lot of time having things update automatically.
Message 10 of 19
ulfhjensen

Hi Nate,
As so many others stated, I will too: Yes, Yes, Both and Yes. Additional one-line/single-line capabilities would be a great advantage.
Best regards
Ulf
Message 11 of 19
srobinson

Nate,
Did this get implemented into ACADE2009? I was disappointed I didnt see anything in the new features information thats available.If not, is this something that is on the agenda for next year?
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

I'm in data gathering mode. You can contact me directly at
nate.holt@autodesk.com.

wrote in message
news:5894366@discussion.autodesk.com...
Nate,
Did this get implemented into ACADE2009? I was disappointed I didnt see
anything in the new features information thats available.If not, is this
something that is on the agenda for next year?
Message 13 of 19
grantayo

I would very much like to use AutoCAD rather than buying visio or another application to perform this task. As almost all electrical systems have a micro processor in them now and custom software, the need to diagram the control loops along with the wiring diagrams is very common.
Message 14 of 19
paulddp

yes please.

I am just about to create them manually for my project.
Message 15 of 19
ccad2509

spin it of as a separate application

you've got enough problems making acade work you don't need to add more to complicate things
Message 16 of 19
AMT_electrical

yes, keep it seperate. Fix what you have now before you add anything new.
Message 17 of 19
grantayo

Sure seems like it could be an added group of symbols like the hydraulic symbols that we could use to document the control loops.
Message 18 of 19
Tauruspower

Nate,

This would be a fantastic tool. I do use AE to do my loop drawings but they are all set as reference drawings so they don't have any intellegence in them. If we could do this with some intellegence it would be of benifit for the surfing funcitons and such. I would guess that it would need to not show up on all reports etc. It could get confusing that way.

We are a company who specializes in instrumentation integrations so we do loop drawings on almost all projects so if they generated automatically, then just clean them up for specific details needed for each customer, that would save lots of time. It really stinks having to re-draw every analog signal a second time. Plus if they generated automatically, or semi-automatically, it would create more consitancey across the industry. Kind of like P&ID drawings and ISA symbols are an industry standard. If all loop drawings began to have simularities driven by the industry, we could get away from customer specifications that are so unique from project to project.

Maybe an approach would be to be able to select the loop from the plc card layout drawing? It would que for selecting components in the loop, then by window or crossing could select the items in the loop that are in one drawing to add to another drawing using specific drawing symbols? This would work real well for me.

Thanks,
Kevin
Message 19 of 19
Adrenojunkie

Absolutley, why hasn't this been done already?!!!!!!!

Time, money for development, at what level would it be capable of? will it handle field buses as well...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost