AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting Multiple panel footprints using schematic list

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
JeffAcadE
2708 Views, 5 Replies

Inserting Multiple panel footprints using schematic list

Hi,

I am trying to automate most of the projects within our company by using the schematic symbols, assigning them to a catalog number for the bill of materials and then create a panel layout using schematic list. All works great but for 1 thing. In the first drawing I added a dummy module which I use to add the loose components, not added in the schematics, to generate a full bill of material. Some of these loose components are used for the layout.
For example a PG9 Gland, I added the component to multiple catalog, and I know I need 4 of these, so i fill in 4 in de Count box. But when I want to add 4 glands in the panel layout using the Schematic list, I only add 1, and after that I am not able to add more this way because it is already placed..
I have the option to add these glands manually by using the Panel Icon menu, but if possible, I'd like to prevent that.

Is there an other way for this?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
drathak
in reply to: JeffAcadE

I think you'll have to have four of them on your schematic, each with it's own TAG1 value.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 6
JeffAcadE
in reply to: drathak

I was aware of that, and with an amount of 4, that would not be a real problem, but it will get pretty difficult when using more than 20 or sometimes 30 glands..
I'd rather place them manually, but this way the footprints are not linked..
I think the Count box is only for information for the bill of material, and if I really want to link it, I have to do it your way..
anyway thanks for your answer
Message 4 of 6
rhesusminus

If you are able to do some program, initial testing of this seems to work:

When extracting data from the schematics, check the checkbox "save list to external file".

This will create an WD1-file that can be used later.

Now, this file is a comma separated text file, and "column" 9 contains the "count".

So, if you create a program that steps through this file, and if it encounters a count <> "" or "1" then copies this line X number of times, and clears the "count".

Now, if you rerun the "Schematic list" function, use the "Pick file" option, and cross off "Multiple Catalog [+]", it lists several times in the dialog.

Also, if someone from Autodesk could tell us what LISP-varaible this information is stored in, we could do a button the processes this list in-memory instead.

If you used this method, you SHOULD do some more testing than I've done so far 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 6
JeffAcadE
in reply to: rhesusminus

rhesusminus, thank you

that actually works, it's a bit of work, but if i am able to automate it, it would save a lot of time...

What I did was extracting the data to the WD1 file..

then I imported it into Excel, using the comma's to distinguish the columns.

I could make a macro which duplicates the every line the amount of times of what count indicates, and then remove the Count value (but i'm not into excel that much yet, but I know that it is possible( I now did a few lines by hand))

then save it as CSV file (comma delimited)
then pick the file using schematic list again... Voila, it works 😄

Now if I only had the time to find out how that excel programming works 😛

Message 6 of 6
shuhn

Why do you need to have a schematic for these types of components?  We added cord grips to the panel menu under a new submenu called "General Hardware."  The footprints we made for these have the P_TAG1 attribute, but inserting from the panel menu will not give this a value.  The end result?  We can manually copy these footprints to any drawing we like, and the reports accurately count them with no issues. 

Here's a little extra tip for you too...  We added the

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost