AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert wire issue (Electrical 2014)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Krzysiek_b
582 Views, 7 Replies

Insert wire issue (Electrical 2014)

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing some problems when trying to insert a wire that I want to start from component pin. The problem is that when I am inserting the wire, and want it to start from the component - it does not automatically show and snap the available connections. Even when I press X-show connections, i can see all the connections but when I want to pick one of them it is not possible.. for example when i move cursor over the green X - show connection, and click it, the wire starts 1mm from desired connection which is quite annoying. 

The funny thing is when I start the wire from empty space, and want to connect it to the same components - then I can see all the available connections and I can pick one of them, and wire automatically connects to them. Is there any way that it will work the same way when starting a wire from the components?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
drathak
in reply to: Krzysiek_b

Does this happen with ALL components?  Not just ones you have created?

Also, if you open one of the sample projects, does it happen there too?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 8
Krzysiek_b
in reply to: drathak

Yes, it happens to all components - not only to the created ones. In sample projects is the same thing.

I attach some screen shots - the first one is when I wanted to insert new wire, and clicked X-show connections, the second one is when I clicked it...

EDIT: The screenshots are from sample project drawing.

Message 4 of 8
Flapsie

Are you using snap and/or grid snap ?
Message 5 of 8
Krzysiek_b
in reply to: Flapsie

Object snap and grid snap are off.

Message 6 of 8
PatMurnen_Adsk

Can you upload a small project (.wdp and one drawing) that this happens on? Or send it to me directly at pat.murnen@autodesk.com. Maybe I will be able to see what is causing this issue for you.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8

After looking at the drawing and video you sent to me directly, it appears that you are selecting in space but not near enough to the wire connection attribute for AutoCAD Electrical to automatically select it. Instead of trying to select the wire connection attribute, select on the block itself somewhat near the wire connection attribute. If you select on the block, AutoCAD Electrical looks for the closest wire connection attribute to your clicked location. Same thing if you are trying to start at a wire, click on the wire itself near the end you want to connect to. If you click in space it has to be very close to the wire connection attribute for it to be snapped to. Of course if your library is set up to have wire connection attributes fall on some standard grid settings you can snap to grid points.

Hope this helps,

Pat Murnen 

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
drathak
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

What is the "Feature Scale Multiplier" set to?  This is in the Project Properties dialog, Drawing Format tab.  This determines the Wire Connection "trap" distance.  Mine reads 1.0 with a trap distance of 0.025 and I've never had a problem.

Also, what is your symbol library scaled at?  If they are really large, that may have you zoomed out so much that the trap size isn't working for you.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost