AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert / Edit Terminal Project List Issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DKLeeUS
1327 Views, 6 Replies

Insert / Edit Terminal Project List Issue

Hello,

I am missing terminal strips in the Project List on Schematic, Insert / Edit Terminal Symbol screen. One thing that is really crazy is this Edit Terminal Project List changes based on which project drawing i have open.  Yes, all the drawings are part of the same project.  Just to jog your memory, this is the list of all terminal strips in your current project.  If you select one of the terminal strips listed in the Project List, the window to the right will display all your terminal numbers used already -very handy feature.

I have tried many things to trigger an update, including cross reference update and deleting project database (and rebuilding).  Also, if I perform Report>Schematic>Terminal Plan I receive a report that lists ALL of my terminal strips as expected.  However, the Project List does not include them.  Does anyone know if this is a bug, I  did something wrong, or a trigger to rebuild this list? Please help.

Also, a much less important item, all terminal strips listed in the Project List are listed twice.

Thanks,

Daryl

Edit 1:  AutoCAD Electrical 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: DKLeeUS

Strange things happen if you copy terminal blocks with base point using plain AutoCAD commands, or you use Save As to save a drawing which contains terminals. The terminals have xdata that can link one to another. When you use Electrical commands to copy circuits you will see options that prevent unwanted duplication. It is somewhat complicated to explain on this forum when typing on my phone. Just try to use Electrical commands to copy circuits and reinsert them. There is an xdata editor that can be used to clear out the link term field that might be duplicated when terminals are copied manually.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 7

Hello,

As Doug said, Please always use the ACE command to handle the Electrical components. As the pure ACAD command may break the intelligence in the Electrical components.

If you still can't fix the issue, then please help to send the issue sample project to us, we can take a look if there is any problem in your drawings, or it is a problem in our product.

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
AutoCAD Electrical
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the responses Doug and Robin.  I'm positive I did not use the regular Acad commands to copy schematic components.  However, I did drawing Save-As, Find and Replace Component Text, then Add Active Drawing to Project. I have 5 chemical reactors with the same I/O pattern; I did this no less than 5x for each reactor drawing.  I thought this was an acceptable way to create very simliar drawings but with different tags, locations and installations.

When adding active (Find and Replaced) drawing, I received a message "Update Terminal Associations"  The following drawing(s) have terminal association values that match associations already in project.  Do you want to give new associations values in the drawing(s) being added? "

I selected "yes."  I thought I was in the clear.  If this approach creates errors, what is the acceptable method?

Daryl

Message 5 of 7

Hello Daryl,  

I have tried your workflow, it doesn't cause the problem you have, but it will make the Terminal association mix up.

The better way to do the reuse is to use the Electrical commands to copy circuits, and insert the circuits, if you need to insert the circuits in different drawings, you can save the Circuits into a Icon Menu first, then insert it to the new drawing, after that, you can do the Find and Replace.

From the attachment, you can find the command to save the circuit to Icon Menu and insert the saved circuit.  

Thanks,

Robin Shou

Quality Assurance

AutoCAD Electrical

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7

I think I have to accept this behavior.  But I can not understand why I receive CORRECT results using Report>Schematic>Terminal Plan. If the drawings had faulty data as all the posts suggests, why does this command work properly?  Frankly, it is hard for me to get beyond that fact. 

P.S. I believe my terminal associations are correct because the Panel>Terminal Strip Editor works correctly and shows my multi-tier terminals correctly on my panel drawings.  This seems to indicate, to me anyways, that the associations are not messed up.

Thanks for all the input,

Message 7 of 7
DKLeeUS
in reply to: DKLeeUS

I wanted to close out this issue with a solution and explanation.  First off, I want to thank those that responded.

I went back and tried many things with the terminal blocks such as updating, moving, deleting and re-inserting, anything I could think of to reset the behavior; but it did not work.  I checked my terminal block attributes with the standard supplied terminal block and everything looked exactly the same (except attribute placement).  Eventually I renamed my terminal block to "HT0009" from "HT0-TB" and Swap>Updated to newly named block.  This worked across entire project!  I tried naming my terminal block to a more friendly name but evidently l did not follow the naming convention.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost