AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEEE 315/315a and the ACAD Electrical symbol library.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bludwitzke
4488 Views, 6 Replies

IEEE 315/315a and the ACAD Electrical symbol library.

I have been trying to find an answer to a question regarding IEEE 315 symbols with respect to the ACADE 2012 IEEE symbol library

Do anyone know if the IEEE symbol library included with ACAD Electrical 2012 is correct?  The symbols look like the IEC symbols, but when I reference NFPA 79 2012 Anex E Figure D.1 the symbol selections resemble JIC symbols with a second reference to IEC 61346-2. So I'm not convinced the IEEE library with ACAD Electrical is correct.  The symbol designations are also in line with IEC for the most part, but that goes against Table E.1  in NFPA 79.  Can anyone shed some light on this subject or perhaps guide me to where I might find the answer?

Bruce

Electrical Designer

Preco Inc.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathalekar
in reply to: bludwitzke

Hello Bruce,

Can you send your observations and references to my official email address to evaluate with figures and examples ? It will help us to understand the exact case what you mean to put up on forum.

My official address is mayuresh.athalekar@autodesk.com

Message 3 of 7
bludwitzke
in reply to: mathalekar

Mayuresh, 

All you need to do is look at NFPA 79 2012 at Figure D.1 (q) which shows examples of the symbols. IEEE 315/315A should match the ANSI Y32.2.standard.  If I wanted to use the IEC 60617 then I would use that library provided by Autodesk.  I had some corresponence with Doug McAlexander (Autodesk Discussion Group member) and he is in agreement with me, and in fact he stated that he submitted to Autodesk back in 2012 that the IEEE library with AutoCad Electrical 2012 was using the wrong symbols.  If you have some substantiating documentation that the IEEE library supplied by Autodesk is correct I would like to see that documentation. 

Bruce

Electrical Designer

Preco, Inc.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
wwallace53
in reply to: bludwitzke

The entire body of IEEE STD 315-1975 would be VERY nice to have, as I can find no other 2D drawing or mapping (like visio or dia) that have the entire library easily available. RF cafe host something for 30 USD that has some of the symbols, but they are not as defined by IEEE 315-1975 current accepted version.

SimpleCAD advertises a full library, but I have not tested it. Cost is 139 USD.

http://www.simplecad.com/y32-symbol-library-ieee-std-315.htm

http://www.simplecad.com/electrical-blocks-iec-ans.htm

Have any other answers been posted? Does AutoCAD 2019 state full compliance with IEEE 315-1975?

Message 5 of 7
jseefdrumr
in reply to: wwallace53

As far as I know, there have been no updates or changes made to any of the symbol sets in this software since 2015, and likely for longer than that. I've seen so little action on the Ideas forum of late that I'm pretty sure that there's no reason to expect Autodesk to do anything new to this software any time soon, if ever. To that end, you'll either have to find a symbol library that has what you need - and then edit the symbols so that they work properly in ACADE - OR just create them as you need them using the provided tools.

Wish I had better news...

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 6 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: jseefdrumr

There's a reason you aren't seeing much action on the Idea forums.

The developers have set it so that the first screen you see when entering an Ideas forum is the Top Ideas, not the Latest Ideas. If you go to the Latest, there are plenty of ideas popping up that don't get seen due to people not realising that difference between Top Ideas and Latest Ideas.

While the activity in the Electrical Ideas forum has dropped off a fair bit, it is still getting about one idea a week from users even if those ideas come in cluster rather than being spread out.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Icemanau

I meant activity in the way of action from Autodesk......they don't seem to watch our ideas board anymore.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost