AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC Standards Help

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
KLIPIT
2708 Views, 5 Replies

IEC Standards Help

Can anyone help me. I have been asked to produce a set of schematics to IEC standards. Can anyone provide me with a typical example. Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
testsubject
in reply to: KLIPIT

Oh, if it were that simple.

For starters, you will need to install the IEC Menus into ACE (I am assuming that you did not do it during the installation).

You do that by going to Windows Programs and selecting Add/Change for the AutoCad Electrical Software.

After adding the IEC Menus, you should have a sample of IEC drawings in your Projects folder.

Now the real fun begins.

I have been spending the past 8 months, on and off, redesigning our schematics into IEC format.

I recommend getting the following books to get you started.

IEC 81346-1

IEC 81346-2

IEC 61666

IEC 60204

IEC 61082

IEC 60445

Be prepared to spend about a $1000.

Then spend a lot of time reading and rereading these books.

Now you are close to starting to convert the schematics from JIC to IEC format.

You will have to create all your own symbols for your unique parts.

IEC is a completely different way of looking at machine documentation. I do like it now but it was painful getting to where I am.

Good Luck.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 6
metal_pro2

You can actually find a lot of the information with Google as far as the different IEC code specs. For instance IEC 61346

is one bit of information you will need. The place I worked for was to cheap to shell out a thousand bucks so I had to learn by example. Read this document from  Moeller I previously posted its very helpful.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/IEC-tag-for-Motor-Drives-VFD/m-p/3808329#M30284

One very important thing to learn with IEC drawings is they use Location (+) and function (=) codes. Usually in the right hand side of the titleblock you will see some thing like this.

=RRM

+QP1

In this sample

RRM - is the function code for Reversing Rolling Mill

QP1  - is the location code for the Panel (multi door panel so there might also be +QP1.1, +QP1.2)

I have attached a couple documents I found on the web that might help explain some of the IEC symbols

Message 4 of 6
metal_pro2
in reply to: metal_pro2

Here is some Sample IEC drawings.

Message 5 of 6
OP21

There is a very good Autodesk training guide for IEC fundamentals using AutoCAD Electrical.  Check it out via Ascent... As for custom symbols, web searches or links from the previous posts are really very helpful..

Good luck!

Omar

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 6 of 6
johnq
in reply to: OP21

Hi

An interesting thread.  I do not need to know but thanks to those who responded.  If I ever need to I know where to go.

Cheers  John Q

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost