AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use PIn List entries

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kc8akw
328 Views, 6 Replies

How to use PIn List entries

AE 2011 and 2012 have pinlist entries for items that we would like to use, but the lists do not populate our drawings.  A specific example is the PIlz 773 630 module.  There are no coil list entries, only pin list entries.    There are two ways of approaching this particular item:

1. Create a single block (as we have done) much like a PLC card.
  2. Use standard relay contacts as children.

Our blocks do not get populated under 1, even if we code them as children.

If we use approach 2, the parent (coils) becomes a separate unit (773 300)

The bottom line is that we are not sure how to integrate this particular Pilz product offering into our drawings without altering the pin list database and risk being incompatable with later issues of AE.

Thanks,

MIke

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
drathak
in reply to: kc8akw

Well I'm not familiar with the devices you are using, but I have edited the crap out of our pinlist database.  So I would be too scared of that.

Can you post some information on the device so I can get a better idea of what you are doing?  Also, if you don't mind, which symbols you are using/trying to use.  Maybe I can help.

For some (maybe) interesting reading on pinlists, I have had a couple of pretty good discussions here lately.  I think I have have my head pretty firmly around them now.

I think....

Contact Counts

Pinlist - Optional descriptive text

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 7
davidhall
in reply to: drathak

@drathak wrote:

...I have edited the crap out of our pinlist database.  So I would be too scared of that.

I was thinking this earlier when I saw this post the first time.  Which brings up a really good questioni with regard to the DB.  What is going to be required when we upgrade to the next release?  We cant ignore any new "parts" that are included with the new DB, yet we can throw away all our changes either.

David
Everyone has a photographic memory,
some just don't have film.
Message 4 of 7
kc8akw

Attached is the block in question.  Specifically, I am looking at what amounts to eight relay contacts.  This block is really intened to take on the personality of several modules, therefor multiple pin lists may apply.  Using the part number 773 6300 results in no pins getting populated.  Further, this part number is already preloaded into AE2012.  I have set up numerous non relay items in the pin list, however, this one has tripped me up.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Message 5 of 7
drathak
in reply to: davidhall

@davidhall wrote:

I was thinking this earlier when I saw this post the first time.  Which brings up a really good questioni with regard to the DB.  What is going to be required when we upgrade to the next release?  We cant ignore any new "parts" that are included with the new DB, yet we can throw away all our changes either.

Well, for one thing, keep good backups. 🙂  Our IT Dept. hosed a lot of our data when we upgraded to 2011.  I have chastised them for doing so, but at least we have an enterprise backup system that saved the day.  Honestly, this next time around I think I'm going to tell them to skip installing any new data. 

(I'm steadily building a database of what we stock in house for the crews to work with.  That information can be tied back to our work management and procurement systems.  Or so they tell me. Our materials are pretty constant.  Occasionally something new comes along, but that can be handled when it happens).

Another method is to make a copy of the database as you have it and set ACE to use that as the primary lookup database.  Then set the default_cat.mdb as the "Other File" in the project properties dialog.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 6 of 7
drathak

@kc8akw wrote:

Attached is the block in question.  Specifically, I am looking at what amounts to eight relay contacts.  This block is really intened to take on the personality of several modules, therefor multiple pin lists may apply.  Using the part number 773 6300 results in no pins getting populated.  Further, this part number is already preloaded into AE2012.  I have set up numerous non relay items in the pin list, however, this one has tripped me up.

Can't see anything weird in the block.  What do the pinlist entries look like?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 7 of 7
Davidc1204
in reply to: drathak

Only a small one but TERM08 has X1TERM12 where it should be X1TERM08

Regards

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost