AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to suppress + in front of location tag

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rickelliott2618
494 Views, 6 Replies

How to suppress + in front of location tag

I have multiple schematics in a project where i use the same component tag with the location being the only difference. e.g. LS314-CB109, LS334-CB109. When i updated tags a plus sign appears in front of the tag (+LS314-CB109), how can i turn this off.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You must be operating in IEC tag mode. It is proper to precede the LOC with a + and the INST with an = when using IEC tag mode. The tag is always preceded by a dash. It is a DIN/IEC standard. You set these options under the Components tab of Project Properties.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 7

I have tried changing the settings under the Components tab of Project Properties and can not suppress the +. I can get the tags to display with or without the location. Also i am using JIC symbols should I not be using IEC tag mode
Message 4 of 7

There is a detailed explanation of IEC tag mode on the tips and tricks page of my web site:

www.ecadconsultant.com

Scroll down from the top of the page to the "How To's" index area. Third from the bottom is a link entitled:

IEC tag mode (Combined Installation/Location tag mode) explained

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 7

Doug thanks for the help, our customer requested hiding the + sign. I have attached a screen shot of two schematics showing the tag names. Basically we have 35 idenetical schematics with the location the only difference. My question is can we have the tags named like shown but without the + sign. Thanks
Message 6 of 7

The plus sign signifies that the folllowing string of text is a location code. Because you have your project set to IEC tag mode AcadE is following IEC rules. If you had an installation code assigned there would be an = sign followed by the installation code, followed by a + sign and the location code, then a - sign and the component tag. There is no option to automatically suppress the = or + signs since that is an IEC standard when merging the installation and location into the tag. You can uncheck the box that combines the installation and location into the tag, so they display above the tag and this will eliminate them. I think you need to set up your project properties for straight JIC by unchecking the combined installation/location boxes or at least uncheck the middle one that merges the installation and location code into the tag, per the illustrations on my tips and tricks page at www.ecadconsultant.com. Edited by: dougmcalexander on Sep 4, 2009 8:45 PM

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 7

What I do is this using the IEC format I first generate the reports I need such as a Bill of Material.

Then I use the Find and Replace utility in the Edit Pull down Menu and replace the unwanted characters as follows:

Find ; =section2+location2-M1

Replace with; section 2 location 2-M1

Then rename the TAG header in the BOM as follows:

Installation/ Location/ Device

This can get tedious if you have a large amount of installation/Locations but it works just fine.

Regards,
Stan At Gavan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost