AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How critical is the FAMILY attribute?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
it.sjerhombus
738 Views, 7 Replies

How critical is the FAMILY attribute?

Hello,

I am currently setting up a block library for our company. We have added several multipin blocks with unique catalogs and family codes. We followed help file and made the TAG the same as the FAMILY attribute. Many of these blocks have NO,NC or NONC contacts. I would rather have one symbol .dwg rather than diffrent symbols .dwgs for each family code. Is there a way to bypass family mis-match alert window? Is there an AutoLISP command I can use within in the WD_SYM_LIB_RESIZE macro to make all of the FAMILY tags match? 

Thank you!

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sonny3g
in reply to: it.sjerhombus

My experience has been that no, you cannot bypass the warning.  The family attribute is also used to tell ACADE what table to use for the catalog lookup to find the part number.  Even though you may use an identical symbol for a NO pushbutton contact as you do for a relay, it is not the same part number and the Family attribute points you to the corresponding table, ie CR for the relay.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 8
s.wile
in reply to: it.sjerhombus

"Is there an AutoLISP command I can use within in the WD_SYM_LIB_RESIZE macro to make all of the FAMILY tags match?"

Are you looking to change the font height on the TAG attributes on your entire symbol library? If so, use the Modify Symbol Library command.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 4 of 8

I hate to differ but the family attribute is actually used to prevent a mismatch of parent and child devices. For example, if you try to associate a N.O. control relay contact (Family code CR) with a motor starter coil (Family code MS) AutoCAD Electrical will pop up a warning. Consider it AutoCAD Electrical's version of the Department of Family and Children Services (DFACS).

The 2nd and 3rd character of the block name (filename) actually determines the search table for Catalog Lookup. The misconception about the Family attribute is very common. I thought the same thing when I started using the software back in 1997.

If your symbol is a parent that would never adopt children, you could forgo the Family attribute. However, Symbol Builder will report an error because it expects to see the attribute.

Hint: You can add the WDBLKNAM attribute to a block and enter an alternate table name as its default value for the Lookup to the direct to a different table. This is helpful for footprints, since footprints do not follow the same block naming convention as schematic symbols. Also notice the schematic terminals include this attribute, since their filenames do not follow the same rule as other blocks, and they need to find the TRMS table for part number assignment.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 8
s.wile
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Controlling What Table Is Selected For Catalog Lookup

Doug is correct. I dug into this post back when someone had a symbol that wasn't pulling the proper catalog info. I too went straight to the FAMILY attribute and was puzzled why the catalog wasn't working as expected.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 6 of 8
it.sjerhombus
in reply to: s.wile

I was wondering, is there was a way to set the default value for the FAMILY attibutes of all blocks in the library to match?

Message 7 of 8

You shouldn't do that. Each family of devices needs their own unique family code. Look inside the symbols Autodesk provided and you will see what I mean.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 8
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Glad you cleared that up Doug. 

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost