AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are Cables Numbered

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
petestrycharske
685 Views, 5 Replies

How are Cables Numbered

All,

I apologize in advance for any incoherence in my question, but I am not an AutoCAD Electrical user.  A client of mine asked me how cables are numbered and I am not completely sure how to answer that question.  From my limited knowledge of Electrical, it looks like things are sequential, but wanted to get others thoughts.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

As a follow up question, can someone explain to me how to add customer numbers / identifiers to cables?

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 6

Hi Pete

Today in AutoCAD Electrical, cables are treated similar to components and follow the component tagging format defined.  So if the tag format is set to sequential, the cables will be tagged as such but if the component tag format is set to reference based, you will see the cables tagged in that manner based upon their reference location in the drawing.

I hope that helps!

Jared Bunch
Principal Experience Designer
Message 4 of 6

Jared,

Thanks for the response!  I am extremely green at this, so I appreciate your patience.  I went to my project, right clicked and selected properties.  From there I see that there is Component and Wire Number tabs, but nothing for cables.  Does Electrical treat cables, as components or wires?  Where do I change the settings for how cables are numbered?  Also, for my own knowledge, is a cable, just a grouping of wires?  Thanks in advance for your assistance and have a most blessed night!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 5 of 6

@petestrycharske wrote:

Jared,

Thanks for the response!  I am extremely green at this, so I appreciate your patience.  I went to my project, right clicked and selected properties.  From there I see that there is Component and Wire Number tabs, but nothing for cables.  Does Electrical treat cables, as components or wires?  Where do I change the settings for how cables are numbered?  Also, for my own knowledge, is a cable, just a grouping of wires?  Thanks in advance for your assistance and have a most blessed night!

Peace,
Pete

I answered another question about how to create a cable in the following link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/Wiring-Diagram-and-Connection-Diagram/td-p/3103236

I believe cables are numbered similar to a component such as a PLC, Pushbutton, etc...

Message 6 of 6
drathak
in reply to: electricman1

Yes, cables follow the component naming settings.  Mostly.

However, you can always override the TAG with your customer's numbers.  It is just a manual process rather than an automatic one.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost