AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's an odd problem - Need a panel footprint that can be edited/altered

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
drathak
522 Views, 3 Replies

Here's an odd problem - Need a panel footprint that can be edited/altered

I'll admit that the subject line is a little vague, so here's my problem.

In our design we have not only control systems, but communications systems as well.  That in and of itself isn't a big deal.  But one of the devices we use pretty regularly is basically a cage/shelf/backplane with various communications cards plugged into it.  I have the schematic part worked out by making the power supply the parent, and the shelf and cards are children.  I can swap out the different ports as needed by using the swap block command.  This can be seen in the first attached image.  The device in question is the ORN1.

The problem arrises when I get ready tomake my footprint for this.  These are ordered with a base configuration then any cards that need to be changed are pulled from stock and the ones removed from the shelf are put back into stock. (See second attached image.)  

But how can I do that on the panel footprint?  The unit is called for as a whole, so the cards don't have their own internal stock number or I would just insert the shelf as one footprint and each card as other footprints.  I suppose I could still do that and just not assign the cards any catalog information, but that feels like a work-around that would eventually cause confusion.

Any ideas?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TomTom111
in reply to: drathak

That is an odd problem.

If it is ordered as a whole, then altered once it arrives, the part number wouldn't really reflect the changes made after the purchase.

What about a nested block?

Like a block within a block?

In the panel footprint DWG, make all of the components a block. Then block the entire drawing once the parts are good to go.

And if you want to add/remove any features of the panel footprint, just select the backplane with attached parts, and use block editor to remove what was removed once the part arrived?

Just a thought.

Message 3 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: drathak

There is the option to do a MANUAL  or LIST insert of footprints.

You may need to do footprints for the various backplane options and comms cards.

Don't forget to add a wipeout to each footprint so that it hides the item behind it.

Set up a catalog list that holds all the different cards and backplane options. Check the help files on how to do this.

Now insert the backplane as per normal, then do an 'Insert (list)' and select the various backplane options and card to insert.

Or if you want to do the Manual Insert, just find the various cards and options and insert them.

This option will mean that you will be digging through the various directorys looking for the right footprint.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
bholle
in reply to: Icemanau

Is it possible to just make a visibility for the card slots and have them on your panel foot print?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost