AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotta Merge Old Catalog with New

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ericp-theelf
947 Views, 11 Replies

Gotta Merge Old Catalog with New

What is the easiest way to merge 2010 ACADE Catalog "My_cat.mdb" with 2013 Catalog "My_cat.mdb"?  I am really tired of having to define a secondary catalog for every project.  Please?  Thanks in advance...

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ericp-theelf
in reply to: ericp-theelf

Also, is there an easy way to copy one Projects settings to another Project?

Message 3 of 12

Use the Migration Utility.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 12

When you create a new project you can set a project to Copy Settings From in the bottom field of the New Project dialog.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 12

Where is the Migration Utility, and how difficult is it to merge my databases?  Please?

Message 6 of 12

The Migration Utility is located on the Project menu tab of the ribbon (see attached screen capture).  I have been using it since 1997 to migrate every release.  It was called Merge in the older versions, prior to Autodesk acquiring the software.  It only merged database content back then.  Autodesk expanded its capabilities, so it now migrates databases, menus, symbols, and much more.  Because I teach the software, and thus must upgrade with each new release, the Migration Utility is one of my favorite tools.

When you start the utility, you will need to select which version and which content you wish to migrate.  Follow the instructions in Electrical Help.  I have attached a screen capture showing the selections for migrating the catalog lookup database.

Note: I strongly suggest making backups of the new versions of the files you will migrate to, in case you are not happy with the results.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 12

Is there anyway to copy project setting from an existing project to another existing project?  The problem we have - amongst many is that we upgraded and are still working out the details on where all the libraries will reside.  As such, many existing projects are having to be updated to the new paths.  It is a pain and I was hoping there was some slick automated tool to accomplish this. 

Message 8 of 12

The wd.env file (wiring diagram environment), located in the AeData folder, contains entries for setting the default symbol library and menu paths (see attached images).  After these are set, you right-click on a project and select Properties.  Select the Symbol Libraries category and click the button labeled Default in the Project Properties dialog. This sets all schematic symbol library paths at once for this project.  Repeat for the schematic menu, the panel footprint library path, and the panel menu.

One of the advantages of AutoCAD Electrical over its competitors is the fact that each project can point to a different symbol library and menu.  This is helpful when you are in my situation and design to multiple standards.  I can have a project set to JIC symbols and menus, another set for NFPA, and another set for IEC.  When I activate a project the symbol and menu path is automatically selected, so I can continue working on that project as before.  With the competitor's programs that I have used, the symbol and menu path are set globally, so if I switch from an NFPA project to an IEC project, I have to change the symbol and menu path each and every time.

There is no global find and replace to change the paths for each project.  You must select each project and use the default button.  This is one of the reasons my customers hire me to assist with setting up the software at their office.  We call this startup support. It usually takes 3 days to get it all done. We concentrate on their drawing template, network infrastructure, environment settings, custom menus, symbols, report formats, and more, so everything is properly set before they get too far down the road with design projects that were not created in the most optimal environment.

Hint:  It is possible, but not advised, to copy and paste library and menu paths from one project.wdp (project definition) file to another.  You run the risk of corrupting the project definition file by misplacing data or deleting data, including spaces, which can be important, so if you choose this method proceed with caution and make backups.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 12

Thanks Doug!  Really appreciate it and they were both excellent explanations.  Thanks again.

Message 10 of 12
larry.drewes
in reply to: ericp-theelf

I know this is an EXTREMELY old post but I am getting ready to upgrade Autocad electrical. I just would like confirmation that using the migrate utility for the catologs won't just replace the new catalog with the old one. I'm assuming there are new updated entries in the newer version catalog and when i migrate my old catalog, i want to make sure I'm getting my custom/added entries along with the updated ones in the new version. The way this post reads, thats what it does...They "merge" but I just wanted confirmation thats indeed what is happening.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 12
rhesusminus
in reply to: larry.drewes

You have several options for "merge":

2019-11-25_02-01-13.png

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 12 of 12
larry.drewes
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thats good information with the screen shot, thanks! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost