AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting "G" for family code in tags

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bbrummon
725 Views, 3 Replies

Getting "G" for family code in tags

Hi All,

I inserted a 3 phase power supply in my drawing today  ,hpw1_3ph, from the jic125 folder.  The attribute code is set to PW but my tag which is set up as

%S%N%F always displays a G for the %F location. 

What's up with that?

Thanks,

Bob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Dag_Henrik
in reply to: bbrummon

If you make a new .txt- file in your project folder and name it wd_fam.dat

Then type e.g.:

G,PS

...and save the file. Close and restart autoCAD if it is open.

The next PS you now inserts will be tagged PS instead og G.

Message 3 of 4
bbrummon
in reply to: Dag_Henrik

Thanks Dag,

Am I getting the "G" because it's set up as a generic type? I would have thought that the Family attribute on this component would have overrode this.

Bob
Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: bbrummon

Class designation letter "G" is for the IEC standard. If you are using stock power supply symbols from Autodesk, this can happen.  They simply copied the power supply symbols from the IEC library folder and pasted them into the JIC folders.  I don't know why they did this but you have multiple options:

The power supply symbols in the NFPA library folder are correct.  The NFPA library began shipping with release 2013. You must select it during installation. If you did not, you can go to Windows Control Panel>Programs and Features and perform a feature update on AutoCAD Electrical.  This will take you back to the standards selection portion of the installation dialogs and you will be able to select additional libraries you might not have selected previously.

After you install the NFPA library you could copy the power supply symbols from that folder to your JIC125 folder.  Just bear in mind that the JIC symbols are outdated anyway.  Note: There are 4 files for the power supplies, two horizontal and two vertical, 1-phase and 3-phase.  Their file names are:

hpw1_1ph.dwg

hpw1_3ph.dwg

vpw1_1ph.dwg

vpw1_3ph.dwg

Another option is to edit the symbols directly and change the TAG1 default value from G to PW. Make backups first.  Note: The power supplies in the JIC folders appear to have been scaled versions of the ones from the IEC folder and thus the wire spacing is not optimal for a typical ladder diagram, and the location of the + and - attributes is quite a distance from the graphical portion of the symbol.  You are still better off using the symbols from the NFPA library folder.

Another option is to employ a wd_fam.dat file, as explained on the Tips and Tricks page of my web site under the heading of "Understanding some of the various support files used by AutoCAD® Electrical."  This optional file forces class designation (TAG) letters to be overruled by your preference, as defined in the wd_fam.dat file.  But again, this only changes the class designation letter, not the appearance of the symbol, the wire spacing, or the attribute placement, thus the NFPA symbol would be a better choice.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost