AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footprint Freeze when Insert from Schematic List

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
791 Views, 15 Replies

Footprint Freeze when Insert from Schematic List

Hello,

I'm having problem when trying to insert Schematic Components (list) to Panel layout. It was running and never pull out the list to insert. I ended crash closing Electrical Autocad by Task Manager. I'm using Electrical Autocad 2014, the database is located on the network drive so that everybody can access to it. 

* Second problem so far by now is that i'm not able to link PDF documents with the catalog. I put PDF on the network drive and copy the links to the catalog (access) but when i hit Catalog Check then Weblink. Nothing happen. I tried to move the pdf to the local drive and still not working either.

Please help. The schematic link is critical for me because it's 50% strength of Electrical Autocad. 

Thank you

Trung

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jalger
in reply to: Anonymous

HI Trung,

I have a few things for you to check.

1. How many users are on the netwok ? (If you have more then 4 people I would suggest going with the Vault to store your databases).
  2. Have you updated the 2014 software to SP1.1? (This fixes an issue with the Database Speed).

You can only link to websites with the Weblink tool. if your hosting the PDF on a website then yes you can link to it.

Otherwise the weblink tool can't find the item to open in a web broswer.

Normally you path to the Manufacturers Website. 

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply. I got the latest update in my software already. This morning i checked and it took me almost 20 min to change a footprint from one to another. I got the latest version of Sevice Pack for Electrical Autocad already. In the past (version 2004 and 2009) i could store my PDF in my locad hard drive and Electrical Autocad will open PDF reader to read. Coming back to the speed of the database, we located our database in a network sharing server and map as a drive. Is there anysetting that i need to tell my IT department to set it correct.

Thank you

Trung

Message 4 of 16
jalger

Hi Trung,

Well for best practices, Do not share any of the .dat files (menu files) 

They slow down the network since the are constantly running.

Leave all support files on the c:drive.

The Projects, and Databases (catalog database, footprint database, etc ) can be shared.

(do not share the project database; the database stored in the "users" support Section)

as for the database speed...

A 20 min lookup? wow, how fast is the network?

hmm I guess you could try repairing the database in Access. (compact & repair )

let me know if the repair helps.

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 16
rhesusminus

The weblink function works perfectly with locally stored PDF's, using an UNC or mapped path.

To check whats happening, we can turn on some debugging tools in AcadE, that will put extra information to the command line.

Type the following commands to the AcadE command line:

AEONTIMER

AEONMDBDEBUG

AEONLISPDEBUG

Now, run the slow command again, and press F2 to open the command line when it's done.

Have a look for something suspicious, and maybe post the result here as well?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank you for your tips about debugging. I moved the support drive to local drive and try to Insert Components from Schematic. It war running for more than an hour already and still waiting. In the end i got Fatal Error Message. Any ideas what caused it?

Regards

Trung

Message 7 of 16
rhesusminus

Type LOGFILENAME in AcadE to see what file the command line is logged to.

Then type LOGFILEON to start logging to that file.

Also, remember to turn on the above mentioned debug functions.

Now, if/when it hangs, take a look at the log-file for debug information.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Same fatal error happen. Please see the log file for the process. I tried to pull an 24vdc distribution schematic (see attachment) with 5, 6 components and terminals nothing much at all

Regards

Trung

Message 9 of 16
rhesusminus

Does it stop on the same component every time?

I.e: IN:wd_cat3_getcat2 for=AB cat=800T-FRXT6AP asmb= table=HPB12M

Seems like it stops while trying to detemine what table in the catalog to use for this component.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

It's freezing when i tried to insert a PB and lookup for a part. This coming back to the original question that Electrical Autocad freeze when lookup for part. My computer is good enough to handle the load from AE (Intel Xeon E5 2670, 64GB Ram, Windows 7 Pro). Let me try on another machine. The last time i tried , it freezed. Is there any setting for the network drive that i don't know of? The next thing i will try is move the database to local drive and see the performance of it.

Thanks

Trung

Message 11 of 16
rhesusminus

Seems like theres something wrong with your default_cat.mdb maybe? Have you tried to open it in Microsoft Access, and run a "compact & repair"?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

I repaired the database, looks like when i pull the schematic list to insert, it's doing better. Now i got the list with the components but taking foreever to look for the physical.. Thank you for the tips Compact & Repair.
Message 13 of 16
rhesusminus

Maybe you should try the same,with the other databases (footprint_lookup.mdb etc.)?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Is there a way to delete the locked the database, i restarted my machine and everything but microsoft access locked file prevent me to change the database and slow the lookup process.
Thanks
Message 15 of 16
jalger

Hi Trung,

Close AutoCAD Electrical and MS Access. (don't have the databse open in any programs) 

Look for an "LDB" (.ldb) file.

If it exists when the database is closed, Delete it, then you should be able to edit the database again, as long as there are no Folder Restrictions.

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jalger

Microsoft Access still think Electrical Autocad using it but it's not. It's slow the whole lookup again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost