AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan out Desitnation issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
streitjr
592 Views, 13 Replies

Fan out Desitnation issue

I have learned how to use the Fan In/Out source and destination signals.  I have found one issue I cannot find a resolution for.

When I apply a Source signal, Left and Horizontal, then add a wire number, the object populates correctly with the description and wire number.  When I add a Fan Out Destination signal, with the orientation to the Right, the wire number appears on the wrong side of the Fan Out destination object.  The wire number is applied to the _Multi_Wire Layer, which is to the left, and the remaining Wire on the right of the object does not have a wire number applied (I tried to add a copy of a wire number and it says no source network).  When I've done Fan Out Destination signals to the Left, I do not have that issue (wire numbers appear on the correct side).   I tested the vertical up orientation of the Fan Out Destination signal and it appears to work incorrectly as well.  I've not found any similar issues when searching discussion groups.  I've also applied ACADE 2012 Service pack 1 and have the same issue.  Any guidance or fixes would be appreciated.

I can force a correction and make it look correct by deleting the WireCopy that appears on the wrong side of the Fan Out Destination symbol, and then manually make the wire number fixed on the wire segment that remains and insert the correct wire number.  But I'd prefer if there were a fix to the AEFANINDEST command to perform the vertical and horizontal right functions correctly.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
testsubject
in reply to: streitjr

Can you post a copy of the drawing you are having trouble with? it is easier for us to help you if we can see what is happening.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 14
streitjr

Thanks for the speedy reply.  Attached is an example. 

I first added two sets of 3 wire busses.

I added the Fan In Sources to the left bus.  I then added Fixed wire numbers to the left of the Fan-In Source symbols.

Then I added Fan out Destination to the right hand 3 wire bus.  I use "Recent" as the selection to match the destination to the source.  Wire numbers inserted automatically as shown.

Message 4 of 14
testsubject

I am having the same issue. I seem to remember coming across something like this in the past year but I can't find it.

I think I remember the issue though. If I remember right, it had to do with how the wire number is inserted. It always inserts the wire number either on the left or down from the destination after insertion. So if you put the destination MULTI-WIRE on the right the wire number is on the correct line but on the left it is not.

Maybe Pat or Kevin can confirm this.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 14
shuhn

Something weird I noticed in your print is that there are layers designated as wire layers that should not be. I looked into it a bit further, and you had EVERY layer that started with "WIR" designated as a wire layer. I changed this to match one of my drawings, and now it works fine. For the record, you had "WIRES", "WIREREF", "WIRENO", "WIREFIXED", and "WIREREF_DEST" all designated as wire types, and the only one of these that should be is "WIRES". The only layers that should be wire layers are for your actual conductors or jumpers. Layers designated for test should not be listed as wire layers. Go into the Create/Edit Wire Type menu, and turn remove all that should not be there.
Message 6 of 14
streitjr
in reply to: shuhn

Thanks for noticing this.  I have noticed it on some other drawings I am working on and am not sure how I got them there (or somebody else).

Since the layers are used, I cannot remove them using the "Remove layer" button on the Create/Edit Wire type.

I'm going to open another discussion regarding if/how these can be removed.

Thanks for your comments.

Message 7 of 14
shuhn

No, but you can change it in the box next to the Layer Name, called "Wire Numbering".... click in the box and change it to "NO"
Message 8 of 14
alds02
in reply to: testsubject

@testsubject Do you still see the same behavior?

There has to be some setting I can change. I downloaded one of Doug's demo projects for fan-in-fan-out, and my workflow places the wire numbers correctly in that project. But not in my own project. Yet I don't see project or drawing property differences (at least that would be relevant).

Message 9 of 14
jjstr8

@alds02  Eleven years later and it still doesn't work right.  The only thing that works for me is to delete the wire numbers it put on the multiwire side then "Update source/destination Wire Number Tags" through the Update Signal References command (AEUPDATESIGREF)

Message 10 of 14
alds02
in reply to: jjstr8

@jjstr8 Yes, your method is how I have been handling it. It isn't very convenient. But I am so confused by seeing it work properly in someone else's project!

Message 11 of 14
jjstr8
in reply to: alds02

Where can I download the demo project you referred to?
Message 12 of 14
alds02
in reply to: jjstr8

This is the post with the link to the demo project:

Re: Fan-in Fan-out tutorial - Page 2 - Autodesk Community - AutoCAD Electrical

Message 13 of 14
jjstr8

@alds02- It works fine in the demo, which is metric units and IEC libraries.  I can break it if I change to the jic125 libraries.  It seems like it's a units and scaling issue, where the calculation for locating the wire is not accounting for something correctly. 

@joaquim.moral  - How can we check if this ever made it to a bug list?

Message 14 of 14
rhesusminus

We'll just tag @jaya_priya_ramasamy to check if this decades old bug is in the ever growing list of bugs.

Maybe they'll tell us the date it was added to the list also?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost