AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to spreadsheet question

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
druida78
1310 Views, 10 Replies

Export to spreadsheet question

Hi

I have a question about the export to the spreadsheet.

In a project I have components with the terminal filled (TERM01 AND TERM02 for instance), When I do a "export tospreadsheet" they do not appear. (I need them to make the labeling).

Another Issue is how can I do to automatic input the component tag into the component terminal

Example:  A coil named K123, the terminals are A1 and A2, The wire name that I need for those terminals are K123.A1 and K123.A2.

Also the other end of the wire I will need the name of the other component and terminal.

Thanks

Ernesto Fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

Arq. Ernesto Fraga
Montevideo - Uruguay
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dougmcalexander
in reply to: druida78

The component terminals (a.k.a. pins) do not export with the spreadsheet.  The ones for terminal blocks and PLC modules do export. I asked about this long ago, but it seems that the intent of the spreadsheet environment was for editing project variables, such as TAG, INST, LOC, etc., not data that is part of a symbol from the library.  However, I have found the occasional need to edit these, such as the case where the symbol has no TERM01, TERM02, etc. assignment and I type it in after I insert it.  This is often the case for symbols such as pushbuttons and pilot lights, which do not come with TERM01 and TERM02 pre-filled, since it may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Of course if you always use the standard designations like 1 and 2 for NC, 3 and 4 for NO, and X1 and X2 for pilot lights, consider adding these to the symbol blocks permanently, or creating entries in the Pin List Database. 

If you find yourself in s situation where you must edit terminal/pin assignments for components already inserted into a project, it can be done via the project database, using MS Access.  Open the project's scratch database (i.e. projectname.MDB) with MS Access.  These databases are stored in your User folder.  Look for the column named TERM inside the table named COMPPINS.  As soon as you complete your edits perform the Update "From Project MDB" function found on the Import/Export menu (see attached screen capture).  It is important to perform the update immediately after making changes, since the project scratch database receives periodic updates from AutoCAD Electrical, thus your changes might be overwritten from the drawing data should you delay.

Hint: If I want to specify a particular contact block within a "yoke-style" pushbutton or selector switch, which might contain up to three contact blocks snapped into the same actuator, I combine the contact block terminal assignments (i.e. 1 & 2 for NC or 3 & 4 for NO) with the slot designation that is located on the yoke.  For example, if I have a normally-open contact in slot A and another in slot C, I assign the TERM01 and TERM02 values as A-4 and A-3 for the block in slot A, then I assign C-4 and C-3 for the block in slot C.   I do this from the Insert/Edit dialog after I insert the contacts into the schematic.  This is just one of the many tips and tricks I cover in my AutoCAD Electrical training courses.

As for combining the TAG and TERM into TAG:TERM click on Change Report Format from the Report Generator dialog and remove the standard CMP1, PIN1, CMP2, and PIN2 fields from the Fields to Report list, replacing them with the ones named "CMP(colon)PIN1" and "CMP(colon)PIN2" from the Available Fields list.   Note: I had to type the word colon in parenthesis because this disccusion forum tries to interpret the colon as HTML and will insert a smiley face icon. 

More information about the available fields is located in the Help System under the Generate Reports category.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 11
druida78
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi.

Thank you very much for your complete answer.

I couldn't follow you in how to combine the tag and the pin. (ACADE 2010) In Project/Reports/Report Format File Setup; I pressed the change report field format but couldn't find the CMP1, PIN1, CMP2 and PIN2. to change them.

any clue???

Ernesto Fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

Arq. Ernesto Fraga
Montevideo - Uruguay
Message 4 of 11
dougmcalexander

What you are looking for is in the Available Fields list.  See the attached screen capture.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 11
druida78

Hi

Nice image. I finally get it.

Thanks a lot.

-Sorry for my english

Ernesto fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

Arq. Ernesto Fraga
Montevideo - Uruguay
Message 6 of 11
terminalblocks

thanks for your help, i was having the same issue.

Message 7 of 11
moeaung31

Hi There

I make attached PLC and export to Excel file there are no PLC (PLCIODESC) information? May I know what I make mistake?

thanks in advance

Moe

Message 8 of 11
dougmcalexander

Be sure to save the drawing and run the AEREBUILDDB command before exporting to spreadsheet. Choose Full Rebuild. The database manager can sometimes lag behind. I used the CUI editor to add the command to my ribbon menu on the project tab so it is readily available. The name in the command list in the CUI editor is Rebuild/Freshen Project Database.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 11
moeaung31

Thanks I got it. Also do I need to do Project database update as well as update signal reference all the time? Not like Benley (Promise e ), link is not automatically update?

Regards

Moe

Message 10 of 11
dougmcalexander
in reply to: moeaung31

Normally everything stays linked. It's just that the data is stored in the drawings and copied to the database when the drawing is saved, where database-driven programs keep the data in the database and copy to the drawing(s). With AutoCAD Electrical you can delete the project scratch database and the drawings are unaffected.  The database will automatically rebuild from the drawings.  AutoCAD Electrical is very robust when it comes to data integrity.   But the trade-off is that when you wish to extract data, such as for a report, export, etc., you need to ensure that the database is in sync. Most of the time it will be but if you wish to export to spreadsheet, it is often immediately after editing and your drawing might not have been saved yet.  When you click to save a drawing, AutoCAD Electrical updates the database.  But I still encounter rare situations where the database hasn't yet caught up.

Hint: The Project Update/Retag utility can take care of updating cross-references, ensuring that signal arrows are linked, ensuring that all components and wires are tagged, etc. all at once.  It even has an option to update the title block of all drawings while it updates tags, signal arrows, and crossreferences.  It's like a one-stop-shop to help ensure synchronization.  I usually run this just before I run the Electrical Audit, while I am preparing to publish drawings and reports. It is located in the Project tab of the ribbon and also has an icon in the Project Manager. 

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 11
moeaung31

Thanks.

Moe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost