AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Custom Blocks with Attributes ?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
stolid
1116 Views, 2 Replies

Export Custom Blocks with Attributes ?

I have been thinking about formatting my pc and i am trying to export my custom blocks with their attributes to a file that i can easily import into the new autocad. I have created about 200 custom blocks and importing them individually to the Block Manager does not make sense.

Can anyone please tell me how can this be done ?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: stolid

A symbol for AutoCAD Electrical is actually a drawing file.  The attributes will be inside the file along with the graphical portion of the symbol.  I save my custom symbols to a folder with a special name, like UserLib or CustomSymbols.  I just point to this folder with any version of AutoCAD Electrical that I have installed. 

Just locate all of your custom symbols and place them in one folder.

In case you added your custom symbols to the menu, the menu files are located in the Support folder at C:\Users\Doug McAlexander\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2012\R18.2\enu\Support\User, substituting your name for mine.  There is a menu file for each library, so you only need he one for the library you created or modified (i.e. ACE_JIC_MENU.dat). 

If you did add your symbols to the menu there will be icon image files.  These are located in a folder named Images at  C:\Users\Doug McAlexander\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2012\R18.2\enu\Support\Images, again substituting your name for mine.

Save a copy of your menu files as a backup.  Note also that when you install a new version of AutoCAD Electrical, you can use the Migration Utility to merge your customizations into the newer version.  You will point the Migration Utility to the files you wish to merge into the newer version.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
testsubject
in reply to: stolid

Doug beat me to it....

This does not sound AutoCAD Electrical related. (There is no Block Manager that I am aware of) Are you in the right forum?

If it is ACE Related, all you need to do is copy your custom blocks from the folder you have them stored in.

Also copy the .dat files for the symbol libraries to rebuild the Symbol Library.

(Located in C:\Users\{YourName}\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2013\R19.0\enu\Support.  Year and R number will change based on your installation)

You will also have to copy any Symbol icons you created for the menu.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost