AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when using

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hkim
318 Views, 6 Replies

Error when using

Acade will crash out of the insert/edit child dialog box when the "list" button (to see used/unused contacts) is used on a child symbol associated with a parent that has a very long pinlist and has a sibling inserted that has a very large number of pins.

The error message that Acade shows is:
Select component/cable/location box to EDIT:; error: Exception occurred:
0xC0000005 (Access Violation)
; warning: unwind skipped on exception
; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation)

I have attached a sample drawing containing a parent with a very long pin list and some associated children. To replicate that error, edit one of the child contacts. Then click on the "LIST" button next to the pin numbers. Acade should kick you out of the command and give the above error messages.

Is there anyway around this?

Regards,
Hyun Kim
Powell Electrical Mfg. Co.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: hkim

Hyun, You are exactly right. AcadE is choking when it tries to display this unexpectedly long string of data (324 characters) in the "Pins used so far" portion of the dialog. I experimented and found that the cut-off point (where it appears to work cleanly) is 255 characters or less. For this display we really don't need to output all 324 char (or 255 for that matter) because the dialog window is only wide enough to show the first 40 or so characters. So, I believe truncating displayed data to 255 max char (in order to be compatible with AutoCAD's dcl dialogs) will be a good fix as it will not affect the operation of the command, just the display of the unseen part of the data. But, you need a work-around now (for the current AcadE 2004 release). The only thing that I can come up with (other than you shortening your pin list - which is probably not an option) is to fake out AcadE so that it cannot write this extra long data out to a window in the dcl dialog. To do this, I believe that we can edit the dcl file, find this "Pins used so far" dialog window, and change it so that AcadE cannot find it. This should let you then use your really long pin lists and, at the same time, avoid choking AcadE 2004. The downside is that the "Pins used so far" part of the "List" dialog will be blanked out. Here's how to implement the work-around: 1. Find file c:\program files\Autodesk\acade 2004\support\wds1ed.dcl and make a backup copy (just in case) 2. Open c:\program files\Autodesk\acade 2004\support\wds1ed.dcl with an ASCII text editor 3. Search for this substring "contact_pin_list : dialog" - it should be about 3/5ths of the way down the file 4. Now scroll down another 60 lines or so. You should see the code shown below. 5. Go down to where it says ":list_box{key="lst";tabs=".... and change "lst" to "xxx" 6. Save the file. That should do it. AcadE 2004 will not be able to write the unstable data out to the dcl dialog window because it won't be able to find the window (because it is now renamed). Let me know if this doesn't work for you. thanks! Nate. :column { fixed_height=true; :paragraph { :text_part{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_107*/"Pins used so far"; } } :row { fixed_width=true; :text{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_108*/" "; width=1;} :text{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_109*/"SH,REF"; width=6;} :text{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_110*/"TYPE"; width=7;} :text{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_111*/"PINS"; width=24;} :text{ label= /*dcl_s1ed_112*/"WIRE NUMBERS"; } } :list_box{key="lst";tabs="2 12 21 26 33 46"; width=80; fixed_width=true; height=14; tab_truncate=true;} "hkim" wrote in message news:11556652.1076103720834.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Acade will crash out of the insert/edit child dialog box when the "list" button (to see used/unused contacts) is used on a child symbol associated with a parent that has a very long pinlist and has a sibling inserted that has a very large number of pins. > > The error message that Acade shows is: > Select component/cable/location box to EDIT:; error: Exception occurred: > 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) > ; warning: unwind skipped on exception > ; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) > > I have attached a sample drawing containing a parent with a very long pin list and some associated children. To replicate that error, edit one of the child contacts. Then click on the "LIST" button next to the pin numbers. Acade should kick you out of the command and give the above error messages. > > Is there anyway around this? > > Regards, > Hyun Kim > Powell Electrical Mfg. Co.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hyun, I did a bit more testing and found a much better fix. Instead of renaming the "key" value so that AcadE cannot find the dialog and therefore cannot write the long string data to it, edit the target line in the file (as described in the previous posting) and remove the "tab_truncate=true;" dialog window modifier: BEFORE: :list_box{key="lst";tabs="2 12 21 26 33 46"; width=80; fixed_width=true; height=14; tab_truncate=true;} AFTER: :list_box{key="lst";tabs="2 12 21 26 33 46"; width=80; fixed_width=true; height=14; } This seems to both solve the problem and retain the use of the "Pins used so far" display. Give this a try. thanks, Nate. "hkim" wrote in message news:11556652.1076103720834.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Acade will crash out of the insert/edit child dialog box when the "list" button (to see used/unused contacts) is used on a child symbol associated with a parent that has a very long pinlist and has a sibling inserted that has a very large number of pins. > > The error message that Acade shows is: > Select component/cable/location box to EDIT:; error: Exception occurred: > 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) > ; warning: unwind skipped on exception > ; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) > > I have attached a sample drawing containing a parent with a very long pin list and some associated children. To replicate that error, edit one of the child contacts. Then click on the "LIST" button next to the pin numbers. Acade should kick you out of the command and give the above error messages. > > Is there anyway around this? > > Regards, > Hyun Kim > Powell Electrical Mfg. Co.
Message 4 of 7
hkim

After I removed the truncate statements from both dialog entries ("contact_pin_list : dialog" and "contact_pin_list_type4plus : dialog"), the fix worked.

Thanks,
Hyun
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hyun, The Surfer dialog displays the same problem when you try to surf on your devices with the very long PINLIST strings. Make similar edits to the wdsurf.dcl file. Nate. "hkim" wrote in message news:3748283.1076341058942.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > After I removed the truncate statements from both dialog entries ("contact_pin_list : dialog" and "contact_pin_list_type4plus : dialog"), the fix worked. > > Thanks, > Hyun
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi there, I saw your message in the AutoCAD Electrical news group. I think your name is similar to Korean. So I just would like to say 'hello, nice to meet you in the ACE newsgroup.' Have you been using ACE already? Interesting... If you are a Korean and interested in ACE software, I want to keep in touch with you. Good to see you. Thanks, Gi-Beak Kim "Nate Holt (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:402944f1$1_2@newsprd01... > Hyun, > The Surfer dialog displays the same problem when you try to surf on your > devices with the very long PINLIST strings. Make similar edits to the > wdsurf.dcl file. > Nate. > > "hkim" wrote in message > news:3748283.1076341058942.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > After I removed the truncate statements from both dialog entries > ("contact_pin_list : dialog" and "contact_pin_list_type4plus : dialog"), the > fix worked. > > > > Thanks, > > Hyun > >
Message 7 of 7
hkim

Nice to meet you too. I am Korean but have never been there. We are about to rollout ACE for everyone here, so I am a guinea pig for the company. If you would like to contact me, my e-mail is hkim@powl.com.

Regards,
Hyun Kim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost