AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eplan to AutoCAD Conversion

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
51073 Views, 24 Replies

Eplan to AutoCAD Conversion

Siemens and other European equipment manufacturers provide electrical drawings in EPlan format. 

Does anyone know of a way to import EPlan drawings into AutoCAD?  Our clients are interested in both layout drawings and wiring diagrams.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

Eplan allows you output to dwg but the drawings are "not intelligent" and would require a lot of work to convert them into ACE enabled dwgs.

You are better off (and probably faster) just redrawing them in ACE from scratch.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 25

If you export the drawings out of eplan as dwg's they export with attributes. You can then intelligently convert the eplan drawings to AutoCAD Electrical. We have developed tools to do this so that the eplan attributes become AE ones and the wire numbers are intelligently mapped to the wires etc.

www.cadline.co.uk

Message 4 of 25
ccad2509
in reply to: testsubject

That a bit simplistic

You need Eplan to start with

And your lin file and cfg file you want to use in the final conversion

you also need to understand the Eplan to dwg conversion tool and do the following

1) map the internal Eplan layers to the dwg layers you want in your Autocad file
2) map the line types and colours and fonts as per 1)
3) you then need to map the Eplan internal attributes to what you want your attributes in your blocks to look like(here you could take the internal Eplan attribute and define exactly how Acade would expect an attribute inside a symbol would be)
4) set the function create plot frame as a block
5) set the function create Eplan symbol as block

it will then generate a dwg with a block for the plot frame and a block for the symbols used

from there it’s a matter of mapping the blocks as you would a plain Autocad drawing with blocks

but if you don’t have access to Eplan you’re in trouble

Smiley Frustrated interesting announcement at the Hanover fair this week which will directly affect sales of Acade in Europe !!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 25
miles.nicholson
in reply to: ccad2509

The wire number handles need copying as xdata to the associated wires in order for these to be recognised as well.
Its easier if you swap out the terminals and source/destination arrows rather than try and use the eplan versions.

Sent from Samsung Mobile
Message 6 of 25
ccad2509
in reply to: miles.nicholson

miles

q) do you have the same issue when trying to convert prome e v8 ops i mean the promis e 5.2 conversion tool in ACADE

is it the same for someone who uses there own defined blocks or maybe electrical designer /see electrical/e3/ or any other package that has been exported out as a dwg ?

because they will all need some manual adjustment that the way it is trying to talk to other cad packages

Smiley Frustrated has anyone at Autodesk figured out whats happened at the Hanover fair yet ?

Message 7 of 25
miles.nicholson

How you convert depends on the software that it came from and where the intelligence was stored. If you take a look at electrical designer, the intelligence was stored in the drawings therefore meaning that a translation of the attributes would suffice. You also have to convert the wires and attach the wire number xdata to the wires so we developed a tool for this.

PromisE V8 is harder because you have to extract xml data and populate in the conversion process. The parts datbases, language database etc can be easily converted but the biggest issue with conversion of PromisE is that the Bentley batch conversion to DWG is not very good so you are better using either a 3rd party tool within AutoCAD or using AutoCAD to convert the DGN to DWG (its actually better than Bentley's now!).

In addition if the conversion requires cnversion of macros then you have to also retorspectively add dots to the circuits so we developed a tool for this.

The above processes are a simplistic version but its certainly possible with the majority of CAE systems out there. No translation is ever 100% either so it depends whether the 1% is an issue (as an example).

Cheers

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

Can anyone verify that it is possible to convert Eplan files to DXF using the Eplan trial software?

Message 9 of 25
ccad2509

Simple answer yes Go page>export>dxf/dwg But you need to configure the export interface you can configure the symbols to export using the Acade numbering method and you can create user supplementary fields in the Eplan symbols for Assycode Cat and Family attributes you can then map the rest of Eplan fields to Acade attributes and the exported symbols will be recognised by Acade as Acade symbols whether they work correctly depends on the mapping and functionality But then again it may be just as easy to redraw your design from scratch in Acade Not a consultant Just swapping out Acade to Eplan in a multinational Company
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

Hi

I have a Auto CAD files, which seems have been made from a Eplan file. 

My main problem with the file is printing. I would like to make a black and White print but seems that it has been locked. I mean when even I put plot style on Monochrome, I have a colored print. When I go to Plot Style Table Editor to change colors, in Form View I just can see a word. Normal. and Properties in this page is not active so can not change anything.

Could you let me know what is wrong with my file? 

Message 11 of 25
ccad2509

edit a block in the drawing do you get something like this in the red ?

if so its eplan if not !!!!!!!

depends on how the eplan was configured how to ecport to dwg but it should be no problem the only issue tht im aware of is block attributes not printing in colour

try an explode ad see what happens otherwise i suspect its the printer driver doing something

Capture.PNG

Message 12 of 25
miles.nicholson

eplan is pretty good at saving as either DXF or DWG with rarely any issues whatsoever. Try and print to DWF, PDF or even XPS and I suspect it will be fine

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

I did the same, YES it is a Eplan.

I tried an explode (a  Temperatur Switch)and made a print. some text related to Epaln (_EPL_TERM_0 ...) appeared in black in print but the symbol of that Temp. Switch is still colored.

I checked the printer, there is not any thing wrong with it.

Message 14 of 25
miles.nicholson

Upload the dwg and Ill take a look in a couple of hours when I'm out of a meeting

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

I made some pdf but the same  results! pdf is in color.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

Please take a look at attachment.

Message 17 of 25
miles.nicholson

Are you using monochrome.stb or ctb?
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

I am using monochrome.stb

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous

Hi Mate,

Thanks for your comments. I convert it by Convertpstyles and now it works. Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 25
sdl853

i cant not install eplan, when i open eplan, eplan showing no license is validated for this product on your computer, pls help me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost