AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded text in titleblocks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
davidpaik
481 Views, 11 Replies

Embedded text in titleblocks

I am having issues updating the text in the titleblock when I setup the block.  I included embedded text.... all is well.... when I enter the text in the project description it will update the block.  Though when i open up the *.wdp file in notepad and alter the texts, this does not automatically update the titleblocks.  Then when i open up the project manager and right click on the drawing and enter it manually, all is well.

Do i have to do this manually or can i do this in the *.wdp file.

Regards,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dougmcalexander
in reply to: davidpaik

It is not a good idea to manually manipulate the *.WDP file.  This file is not active.  It is only storage for Electrical.  Electrical writes and reads to the file during certain operations internal to the software.  Manual editing of this file can cause issues.  A misplaced space or other character can corrupt the file.  It is best to use the Title Block Update and its associated mapping to manage the title block data.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 12
davidpaik

Hmmmmm, not quite the answer i was expecting.....  that means if i had a 1000 page electrical document; i would have to go in the properties of each page?  i thought using acade was/is supposed to save me time.

Regards,

David Paik

Message 4 of 12
dougmcalexander

It saves lots of time, and helps us design more accurately.  But Electrical is a relational database and therefore certain rules must be followed.  I've been using it since 1997, along with other competitive programs, and I find it to be the easiest of all to master. 

The Title Block Update in itself saves lots of time, if you have everything setup effectively and properly mapped (there are tips about that at www.ecadconsultant.com).  Project level information that is the same for each drawing is entered once in the Project Description lines.  The Title Block Update adds this information to the appropriately mapped attributes within your title block.  It can also, if set up properly, add the sheet numbers, total number of sheets, drawing file name, Installation and Location, and more, automatically to each drawing, sometimes in the amount of time it takes to go refill your coffee.

The main thing that might vary from page to page are the three available lines of drawing specific descriptions.  These are mapped via the Drawing Values dialog of the Title Block Setup Wizard (see attached).  After you enter a string of text once, you can select it from a drop-down arrow if you need to repeat the particular description text for a subsequent drawing.  I tell students in my classes that you should almost never type the same string of text in twice with Electrical, because of the drop-down lists that it maintains.

Because Electrical is a relational database application running inside the AutoCAD drafting environment, it adds horsepower to the otherwise plain drafting tool.  We may spend a little extra time in certain areas making sure that the data is entered correctly, something we may not have to do with plain "dumb" AutoCAD, but the net is still a significant gain in time to market and the accuracy of our project drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 12
s.wile

Close the project from the Project Manager and then reopen it from the Recent Projects list. (Project Manager drop down menu) This will force the Project Manager to re-read the WDP file.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 6 of 12
CAD-ICE

Hi There,

I have been told that the new version of ACADE2012 all attributes related to each drawing's properties can be exported/imported via the import/export tool. I would think that this is the function you are looking for...right?

Regards, Gary

Message 7 of 12
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Yes, we support this in AutoCAD Electrical 2012, see attached image. The Drawing Settings export should include the settings listed below.

• Section
  • Sub-section
  • Sheet (%S)
  • Drawing (%D)
  • IEC Project (%P)
  • IEC Installation
  • IEC Location
  • Drawing Description 1
  • Drawing Description 2
  • Drawing Description 3

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 8 of 12
davidpaik
in reply to: s.wile

Sorry, not working.... I am using Acad Electrical 2009. 

Message 9 of 12
Avd650

Hi,

I have the same problem when I add sheets to projects, text is missing in the WDP file, and I add it manually. But it has to be done carefully not to mess up with the file.

Description texts are to be placed just before its dwg file, see attachment. I use Section as well, and that has to be placed before these Desc. texts.

PS! We currently use ACAD E 2011, but this was done the same way since ver. 2009. It works ok for us (so far)

Message 10 of 12
davidpaik
in reply to: Avd650

Hey, we have almost same issue..... I am using embedded texts in my titleblock.  if i do it the "normal way" and edit the wdp file..... everything seems fine when i do the update. Only the embedded part of the titleblock does not update properly...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

David

Message 11 of 12
davidpaik
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing.... I am using embedded texts within the titleblock.  when i alter the .wdp file instead of right clicking on the file properties (which takes a very long time)... it does not update titleblock when i run the titleblock updater.  All other fields gets the updates..

Regards,

Message 12 of 12
Icemanau

Embeded text is just that TEXT. it can't be changed without editing the block itself.

To have the ease of the ACADE Title Block Update, they need to be ATTRIBUTES.

Easy way to change them is to open the title block as a dwg. Insert the appropriate number of attributes with the correct size, font and so on, to match the text you are replacing. Save and exit the title block.

Start a NEW, BLANK dwg and insert your title block. Then go to PROJECTS -> TITLE BLOCK SETUP. Use the WD_TB Attrib method to assign the various attributes to the Project Descriptions and Drawing Settings you require.

Save this file as a TEMPLATE file and close the file. Now go to the TOOLS -> OPTIONS. Select the Files TAB and change the template settings to point to the apropriate directory and file then click OK

Now to test, create a new project and fill in some of the descriptions. Now right click on the project and select New Drawing. Fill in the drawing data as required and click ok. Then a new dwg should open up and automatically update the title block to what all the project descriptions and dwg settings are.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost