AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Description Disappear in "Drawing Properties" in Project

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
linnea.lukic
595 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing Description Disappear in "Drawing Properties" in Project

Hi,

Don't know if anyone have came across this issue.

When adding a new drawing (with descriptions, project code, sheet value...already filled in another project) into a project, the descriptions fields disappear!!!  All other info are retained apart from description 1, 2 and 3 fields.

Is this normal behaviour for AutoCAD Electrical?  So If I want to add 30 drawings to my project and I have open each drawing and fill in the descriptions again.

Any help would be really appreciated as it's causing a lot of problems.  I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2014.

Thank you !!Smiley Happy

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Tee.Dee
in reply to: linnea.lukic

As far as I know this is normal behavior.

In the original project that you are getting the 30 drawings from, use the export to spreadsheet tool and select the "Drawing Settings" option.  This will export all your decriptions and sheet numbers.

Now add these 30 drawings to your new project, dont change any file names just yet.

If you need to adjust the sheet numbers you can open up the xl sheet and change them as needed.

Use the import from spreadsheet tool and browse to the xl file you just exported and run it against the 30 drawings.

Now all of your drawing descriptions should be filled in and you can do a title block update.

edit:

Alternatively if you have allready added the drawings to your project and renamed them you could just copy the drawing description values from the exported xl sheet from the original project, export the drawing setting from the new project, replace the drawing descriptions in xl and then import from spreadsheet again.

Message 3 of 7
linnea.lukic

Dear Tee.Dee,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately that's the answer I didn't want Smiley Indifferent

I do know the export/import tool but the problem is that our IT has written a script file to locate correct drawings from my Master Project (which contains all options and variants), and then copy, save in a new contract specific folder.  Therefore as you know the project settings are not copied.  I then copy the Master Project file (.wdp) to the new contract folder and open it in NOTEPAD, delete the drawings which are not copied into this new folder.

This is one of the 2 methods I use to copy drawings from a Master Project to a Contract specific project.  It is very time consuming but I can't think of any other way to do it.  Have you got better idea?

Thanks again for your reply Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
Tee.Dee

Nope sorry I cant think of anything other way.

You might be able to do something with a lisp, script or custom program.  Have a look over here:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?21-AutoLISP-Visual-LISP-amp-DCL

Someone might be able to write you something that will help.

Message 5 of 7
linnea.lukic
in reply to: Tee.Dee

Hi Tee.Dee,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I will look into the lisp/script routine.

Do you think this is quite a big issue?  As I'm sure there are a lot of people out there thinking why couldn't AutoCAD Electrical do this?  I'm trying so hard here to convince my colleagues that AutoCAD Electrical is the right software for our company but so far there are so many issues with the 2014 version.  I am losing fate........Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 7
Tee.Dee

Spoiler

Maybe this could be of use:

http://www.ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Project_In_Project

Message 7 of 7
linnea.lukic
in reply to: Tee.Dee

Hi Tee.Dee,

Thank you.  I will have a look. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost