AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default_catalog database

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
chubby-1
224 Views, 12 Replies

Default_catalog database

What affect would it have if I opened the default_catalog.mdb and changed a couple of headers in each table? I would like the User1 header to read SPARES and the User2 header to read NOTES. But I do NOT want to mess up my current projects. Any ideas? hints? suggestions?

Thanks
Marty
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MartinLee
in reply to: chubby-1

Marty,

You can do this, but will have to change the header in each table in the data. For instance, I've changed USER1 to be STOCK_No. As for messing up your database, make a backup copy of it first, then if you royally screw it up, you can delete the mess and rename your backup and start over. Good Luck!
Message 3 of 13
chubby-1

Thanks Martin......and now my next question....When you insert a new part the dialog box that prompts you for the description and catalog number shows User1 as STOCK_NO also???? Just wondering.

Thanks
Marty
Message 4 of 13
MartinLee

Hee, Heee, Hee!!! You got me here, because we are not using the STOCK_NO field at this time. Our company's database for this hasn't been implemented yet. But I think that it does. It's been about three years since we set this up (that's how long we've been waiting. . .). If it doesn't, you can change the report format, change that heading, and save it in a SET file.
Message 5 of 13
chubby-1

wow......I have basically set up the system here, went from not ever using ACE to having the 1st project almost done...in 4 months and I thought I was slow.....hahaha. Well I am going to back up my default_catalog and see what happens, I will keep you posted, if I never post again you know I had catastrophic results 8-) Thanks for the info Martin.

Marty
Message 6 of 13
MartinLee

That's really good! And a lot better than what I did with another product which I tried for two years (full time) and never turned out one project. Hence ACE. . .

Congratulations!!!
Message 7 of 13
chubby-1

Martin: I just consulted the "powers that be" (autodesk) and they say that renaming the columns in all the tables will not work.......as most of the components and footprints have an USER1 attribute assigned to them......unless you wanted to change each drawings attribute. Not real sure I understand, but the RECOMMENDED method is to leave existing database column headings alone, (Ex. USER1) and fill in your desired info......then change the column heading when you output the report such as a BOM.

Marty
Message 8 of 13
MartinLee

That may be a better way, but years ago (before it was ACE) that was the way I was told to do it by "The Man" (N8), so thats the way my database is. Since my database is completely custom and my symbol libraries are completely custom, I suspect that for me it doesn't matter. And I've also modified the DCLs to show STOCK_NO as well. (I've really messed with ACE!)

Having said all that, I'd say that you should do what the "gurus" say. The column headings are saved in the SET file, which weren't available in the old days.

Thanks for the info.
Message 9 of 13
chubby-1

Martin: Not a problem......just trying to pass on info.......and YES......you have really messed with ACE....maybe in a few years I can say the same Ha!

Marty
Message 10 of 13
RJMeyer

Martin--hope I'm ok to butt in on your conversation, but would it be inappropriate for you to say what software you tried and failed on? I did the same with Promise several years ago. I had it fully implemented, took about 9 months and then recommended that we set it aside and wait for them to resolve the BUG issues, which I had NO confidence that it would ever happen. Today I'm running AcadE and it is good stuff. It took me about 3 months to get it going, but the time was well spent to get it done right.
Message 11 of 13
chubby-1

WHEEEW!!! sure am glad to know that I am NOT a total idiot....It is also nice to hear from some others on what their setup time frame was. because as we all know.....our employers want it set up....YESTERDAY Ha Thanks for the posts and the info guys.

Marty
Message 12 of 13
MartinLee

You can email me at martin_lee@mckee.com If you want to yak on the phone, send me your phone number.
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

chubby-1

I hope you have come along and things are progressing nicely for you. I
would like to exchange a few emails with you on a subject or two if you have
some time, please send me an email at jared.bunch@autodesk.com

Thanks
--
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------
Jared [Autodesk, Inc.]

wrote in message news:5016140@discussion.autodesk.com...
You can email me at martin_lee@mckee.com If you want to yak on the phone,
send me your phone number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost