AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.DAT menus

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Tim_L
1087 Views, 10 Replies

.DAT menus

We have just upgraded to ACE 2013 network version.  We have several custom menus to insert our custom components.  With past versions we would add linking icons on the 'out of the box' menus to open the custom menus.  Is there anyway to to open the custom menus without doing any modifiication to the 'out of the box' menus or ribbons?  Thank you

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
in reply to: Tim_L

Hi Tim,

I'm not very sure if I understand you correctly. Here are some basic innformation regard the new icon menu:

1. It's support with the old menu DAT file format, which means if your customer DAT file follow the formatting in previous ACE release, it can be loaded into the new icon menu UI.

2. It supports ACE APIs to show the icon menu with give page. Like c:wd_insym_gomenu or c:wd_insym_go2menu.

3. It supports execute command from the icon menu, so that many things can be done from it, for example, open another icon menu etc.

Hope these help. If you still have problem, please let me know what is the exact workflow you need to achieve.

Regards,

Pan

Message 3 of 11
Tim_L

Thank you for the reply.  Let me try to say it another way.  With previous versions of ACE we would add our custom icon to the standard schematic component and panel component menus.  Clicking on the custom icons would open custom menus we have created over the years.  Those custom menus have icons for inserting components we have drawn, detailed and added attributeds specific to our companys applications.  The question is, with ACE 2013 can those custom menus be opened in any way other than linking them to the standard menu with the custom icons?  e.g. can I type a command into the command line and call/open any menu .dat file I want without going through the standard menu first?  The tricky part is that the standard menu is local to the workstation and the custom menus are on the network server.  Thank you

Message 4 of 11
algerj

Hi Tim,

You could just change the default menu in the project.

In Project properties, change the file path for "Schematic Icon Menu File" to your custom one.

If you want access to the other menu simply add the tie in.

The code will look something like:

(c:wd_loadmenu "ace_pid_menu.dat")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0)

This one is a link to the built in P&ID Menu

or

(c:wd_loadmenu "ACE_JIC_menu.dat")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0)

this one is the link to the JIC Menu.

The Main point here is; instead of adding your custom menu to the other menus, add the JIC link to your Custom one...or do both if you want to switch back and forth.

You could also assign an alternate menu in the WD.env file.

This just makes it easier to access for editing.

If you want to have your Custom one as the default all the time you could change the file path in the WD.env File. Scroll to the "Symbol Insertion and Library Paths" Section, and change:

"WD_LIB,%SL_DIR%/jic125;%SL_DIR%/jic125/1-;%SL_DIR%/pneu_iso125;%SL_DIR%/pid;%SL_DIR%/hyd_iso125, schem, 1-line, and pneumatic/pid/hydraulic default paths"  to your Default Paths...

There are 5 paths here you sort of need all 5 for it to work properly.

(I would only change the First 2 paths, Jic125, and Jic125/1~)

I hope this helps,

James Alger

Message 5 of 11
Tim_L
in reply to: algerj

Thank you again.  With previous versions we would add the links in a way that we could move back and forth from the standard menu to the custom menu and from the custom menu to the standard menu (actually we would link several menus like this).  I am trying to get away from adding any modification or changing any code to the 'out of the box' software.  I am the one who has to tweek all of the workstation so I am fishing for something like a command line function to open any menu in on step that I can publish and be done with it.  Thank you

Message 6 of 11
hbohm

Tim_L,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I too have been hoping there is a way to accomplish this. I would like to open our company icon menu up without going through the schematic menu first.

Message 7 of 11
jalger
in reply to: hbohm

Hi Hbohm,

Open the WD.env File and edit the line that say's

WD_MENU,%DS_DIR%/my_menu.dat,to override default schem icon menu

should look something like this:

************************************************************************************
* Menu & Slide Path
************************************************************************************
*WD_MENU,%DS_DIR%/my_menu.dat,to override default schem icon menu

Remove the " * " and set the path to you default menu. ( then change the Library paths in the project, or in the wd.env file)

Also make sure you make a backup of the WD,env BEFORE you start (incase something happens)

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 8 of 11
hbohm
in reply to: jalger

Thanks,

I used this method as a last resort. I would like to keep the functionality of the default schematic icon menu & the default panel icon menu, and also be able to open our company menu independently. However, beings as our company doesn't make use of the default panel icon menu, I replaced that menu with our menu. I kept the same name as the default to avoid any issues with the project file (.wdp) menu paths. I made a backup of the default panel menu just in case we need it later.

If anyone comes up with some sort of command (or lisp) that loads a custom menu file without routing us through the schematic or panel menus, please let us know! Thanks

Message 9 of 11
jalger

Hi Hbohm,

You could create a custom Command to do this.

Actual using the same code.

Here are the Steps:

1a. 

Right click on the Ribbon to add the "Manage" Tab (Show Tabs> Manage)

Select "CUI" from the "Customization" Panel.

or

1b. Type "CUI" in the Command line

After that the Customize User interface dialog box will show up. 

Create Custom Command_1.png

2. Select " Create a New Command" (Looks like a little star)

3. Name the Command and Edit its Properties (Select an Image to Repersent it)

Where it says "Macro" Type in the code " C^C (c:wd_loadmenu "YOUR_MENU_HERE.DAT")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0)  

Create Custom Command_2.png

4. Place the New Command into a Custom Panel

Create Custom Command_3.png

5. Place the Custom Panel in a custom Tab (or existing tab if you want)

Create Custom Command_4.png

6.  Drag and Drop the  New tab into the Ribbon.

Create Custom Command_5.png

End result: You have a custom Command that calls your menu, you just have to make sure the Menu is in a Support path.

i.e. Make you dat file is in:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2015\R20.0\enu\Support

Create Custom Command_6.png

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 10 of 11
hbohm
in reply to: jalger

James,

This is the method I have been using for the past few years. However, the wd_insym_go2menu code is one that is used in conjunction with the schematic icon menu. I have had ongoing issues when using my custom menu and then using the schematic icon menu, since it is the same base command to open both menus. I would like to get away from using any commands that are intended for the default schematic or panel icon menus.

By replacing the default "ACE_PANEL_MENU" with my custom menu, this accomplishes what I'm wanting to do for now. Thanks

Message 11 of 11
jalger

Hi Hbohm,

Well If you don't use the Schematic/panel  icon menu to call up the right menu (and the Insertion Code), Then it will insert the symbols on the wrong Layer. I'm not really sure I understand what your end goal is but have you tried using the Tool pallet or the Design Center?

They both store and call out blocks, they might work for you.

The best thing to do is to use the  Macro C^C (c:wd_loadmenu "YOUR_MENU_HERE.DAT")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0).

It Opens up a menu that is not linked to the default menus (it can but your going to path to your specific Menu file)

in this case it loos for  **M0 in the .dat file and uses it as the base menu.

Repathing the Panel Menu will need to change for every Project.

Adding a Seperate Command will take care of it Program wide...

In any case I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost