AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customized component family names

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
psrajesh4u
1973 Views, 5 Replies

Customized component family names

Hi,

Please help on the below questions.

How we can change thecomponent family names as per our requirement?.

Regards,

Rajesh.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: psrajesh4u

Rajesh,

Here is some information from the Help -

A component’s family name can be overridden at insertion time, during a later edit, or automatically using the wd_fam.dat mapping file. The wd_fam.dat file overrides the family tag code of library symbols by mapping the codes to new values. The tag code of a symbol is used in generating the tag-ID of inserted components, such as the “PB” of tag-ID “PB101.”

AutoCAD Electrical searches for this mapping file in the following order:

1. User subdirectory

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical {version}\{release}\{country code}\Support\User\

Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical {version}\{release}\{country code}\Support\User\

2. Active project's .wdp file subdirectory
  3. All paths defined under AutoCAD Options Files Support Files Search Path

Depending on how you want to override component family names, you can move the wd_fam.dat file into the various locations mentioned above.

• To always substitute a new family value for all projects you create, place the file in the User folder. (option 1)
  • To use AutoCAD Electrical defaults most of the time but sometimes override them with project-specific defaults, place the file in the project folders for the project you want to override. You can have different defaults for each project. (option 2)
  • If you want a default override from the AutoCAD Electrical default values, but sometimes want a project override to the global override, you will want to use option 3 and 2. Place the file somewhere in the AutoCAD support path, like “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 20xx\Acade,” and then when you want to override these values, place the file in the project folder.

Regards,

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
psrajesh4u

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I am not able to find out wd_farm.data file in my system. Following the path name from the Help menu & Search result of the wd_farm.data file is zero. What to do for solve this ploblem?. please help.

regards,

Rajesh

Message 4 of 6
PatMurnen_Adsk

Rajesh,

AutoCAD Electrical does not supply a WD_FAM.DAT file since the libraries provided follow the standards for component family names. The file is used to override the default family names.

You can use a simple text editor such as Notepad to create one and place it in a folder based on the information I provided earlier. The WD_FAM.DAT file is a text file in the format of <old>, <new>.

Here is an example:

MOT,MTR
PE,PEC
PX,PRS
PW,PWS
FS,FLS
FLT,FS
TD,TR

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6

I have a question regarding this topic being discussed here. If I wanted to create some additional, custom family codes, would I use the same method described above, or is there another way to achieve this?

Message 6 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: flyFisher67

You can easily create your own family codes.

Create an attribute template with the correct family code. Also, use Microsoft Access to edit the _FAMILY_DESCRIPTION table in default_cat.mdb.

Now, when creating a new symbol with the symbol builder, things should look nice and "integrated".

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost