AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize User Interface Error

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
benemt
996 Views, 11 Replies

Customize User Interface Error

Whenver I try to drag any command onto a toolbar or the ribbon, I receive an error that says "Unhandled exception has occured... Unable to cast COM object..." (see screenshot).  This happens with every command: Acad and custom.

Any help is appreciated.

-Acad Electrical 2010, updates installed

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: benemt

Good catch and thanks for report ! Have logged to our development side for handling.

We don't support Drag & Drop for this, you can switch to Transfer tab in CUI dialog box, and create your new cuix file in "Customizations in New File" panel, then drag & drop from main cuix file (left panel) to right panel.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer, Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 12
benemt
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it.  I actually have Acad Mechancial 2010 on my computer and am trying to get these to work on Acad Electrical 2010 on a colleague's so I am using both in conjunction to figure this out.

I don't see how the transfer tab is going to help me.  My custom command is in the "Command List" on the "Customize" tab.  How do I get it into the customization file if I cannot drag and drop?  In Mechanical, this method works great to get a command form the "Command List" onto the ribbon or toolbar (see "CUI dragdrop" attachement)I .  Yet in Electrical, I get the "COM Object" error.

The other method I tried was a right click near the toolbars and then clicking "Customize."  It brought up a different "Customize User Interface" window in which it tells me to drag the commands(see "CUI dragout" attachment).  I get the same error when I try to do this.

Message 4 of 12
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hmmm. Transfer tab can only drag and drop for the existed commands, and for the new customized created command, drag it from Command List pane to toolbar or Ribbon should work. Hope it can be fixed soon.

After you create your command, click Apply and OK in Customize User Interface dialog box, then the new cuix file will be loaded. Can you call your command in the command line directly ?

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 12
benemt
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

The button I'm trying to add is for a VBA macro and the command the button runs is "^C^C-vbarun EMTDescrip".  I can get this to work from the command line if they type "-vbarun" <enter> "EMTDescrip" but I would prefer they don't need to worry about remembering the names of the macros.

Message 6 of 12
wesleylau

Hello, I have this same error when I try to drag a command into the Keyboard shortcuts toolbar. Any help would be appreciated! I have AutoCAD 2008 64 bit.

Message 7 of 12

Hi wesleylau,

Thanks for your report !

We had logged this issue in our issue tracking system and hopeful it will be resolved as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconveniency.

I suppose you want to drag a command into Keyboard Shortcuts toolbar and then directly invoke this command from the toolbar for further operation. If this is case, I think it is blocked now by this problem and I suggest to call it via command line to use it.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 8 of 12

For those of you having this issue can you provide more details? What version of AutoCAD Electrical? Can you provide the exact steps or a video showing what you are doing?

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12
wesleylau
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Hello, I have AutoCAD 2008. Here are the exact steps I followed:

1) Type in CUI

2) Drag any command (e.g. Copy) from the Command List

3) As soon you start dragging (i.e. you cannot move it anywhere), I get this error (picture and error message attached).

Thanks for looking into this. I found a current workaround, which is to right-click the command, click copy, then go into the appropraite panel (keyboard shortcuts in my case) and click paste.

Message 10 of 12
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: wesleylau

This is AutoCAD or AutoCAD Electrical? I don't have 2008 available and so far haven't run into this issue in the versions I do have. What version of Windows are you on?

For anyone with a newer version of AutoCAD Electrical can you supply steps, screen captures, or video? Can you also use the right-click method mentioned?

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
wesleylau
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

This is plain and simple AutoCAD. I'm using Windows 7. Both AutoCAD and Windows are running in 64bit.

Message 12 of 12
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: wesleylau

I am not sure it is related but AutoCAD 2008 does not support Windows 7 since Windows 7 came out after AutoCAD 2008. You can see at this site  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=14185352 what Autodesk product releases support Windows 7. But none are earlier than 2010 releases.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost