AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Parametric PLC Child Symbol

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ccasalie
695 Views, 1 Reply

Creating a Parametric PLC Child Symbol

I have been using the PLC Database editor to create customized PLC I/O modules that are tweaked to our liking based off the standard ones in the database.

On thing I cannot figure out how to do is to make these Child rather than Parent symbols.  I have a simple power supply symbol that I have created that I have as a Parent which will hold the Catalog/BOM info.  I want to have these I/O modules be children so that inherit the same TAG number and they do not show up on the BOM as a seperate device These are "Expandable" brick style PLCs I am dealing with that have built in I/O (Compact Logix L16/L18 series).

I know you can do this with the individual I/O point symbols, but I don't want to use those.

I have read through the Forums and it looks to me like this is not possible right now with Parametric PLC modules.

I would appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
electricman1
in reply to: ccasalie

This could be done manually, the key is in the block names and attributes.

However, for convenience, I would suggest creating a parametric PLC model with the power supply terminals at the top of the list. Then add a break after the power supply terminals. The parent and child module could placed then manually cut and paste the child section of the PLC to the desired page.

Also, I don't recommend this, but ACADE may be able to handle two Top PLC Modules (with the line1, line2, descriptions, part#, manufacture, etc.). Include one Top Module at the start of the power supply terminals and a second at the start of the PLC I/O terminals. This may allow PLC descriptions and info. to be included on the both the parent and child PLC symbol. However, I have a feeling that all of the child descriptions may not auto-update if the parent descriptions are changed, time permiting this may definitely be worth a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost