AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copper Bar vs. Wires

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
druida78
1196 Views, 9 Replies

Copper Bar vs. Wires

Hello.

How can I distinguish Copper Bar with wires? When I draw a schematic panel I don't use to distinguished. But Now I need to extract the from/to list to print the wires identification. The Id should be the copper Bar Tag (a), wire number (b) and the destination component (c,d,e,f,g,etc) so the tag printed would be a/b/c; a/b/d; a/b/e; a/b/f, etc(I use to concatenate in excell,etc).

The problem is that the report returns me the previous component, no the copper bar, e/b/f for instance.

So is there any way to distinguish a copper bar to a wire phase?

Best Regards

Ernesto Fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

Arq. Ernesto Fraga
Montevideo - Uruguay
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
drathak
in reply to: druida78

I'm thinking three symbols.  The bar itself as parent*, and then horizontal and vertical ground symbols that are children to the bar.  String a piece of wire between them.  Or better yet, make the wire a prt of the child symbol.  Can that be done??

*Historically we've shown a small polyline with a label "Ground Bus" and a note to "Ground All Instruments" on our panel drawings.  Haven't really thought about how to do this in ACE yet, but this is how I would start.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 10
dougmcalexander

Electrical includes some ground symbols, but for this I would create an actual symbol that looks like a copper bar.  I will attach one of mine as a sample.  I have a vertical and horizontal version.  These are scaled for inches.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 10
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

@dougmcalexander wrote:

Electrical includes some ground symbols, but for this I would create an actual symbol that looks like a copper bar.  I will attach one of mine as a sample.  I have a vertical and horizontal version.  These are scaled for inches.

What if you have more than the 5 connections shown?  Add another bar?  Just curious.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 5 of 10
dougmcalexander
in reply to: drathak

That's just the way I made mine.  There are actually 10 connections.  You can hook a wire to each side.  If you need more, just modify to add more.  If you know how to use Symbol Builder it's easy, but I actually created these with plain AutoCAD. Once you are familiar with how the attributes must be named and positioned, you can modify symbols simply by opening their file.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 10
drathak

That's what I figured.  (And I'm about to that point myself.)

But with our drawings, the ground connections don't always (or often) show up on the same schematic sheet.  So I think I will flesh out my thoughts on Parent/Child ground bar symbols.  Or is that how ACE does it?  Guess I should check first...

--------------
Joe Weaver
Message 7 of 10
dougmcalexander
in reply to: drathak

There are no parent/child ground symbols.  There is a chassis ground symbol and an earth ground symbol.  You can use a terminal symbol to represent the screw lugs of your ground bar if you wish.  Place terminal symbols throughout your schematic and assign to the same strip ID.  I use actual ground blocks for my grounding so that actually works perfectly for me.

Doug McAlexander

Message 8 of 10
vladop

I asked the same question. Here is the link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/WHISH-Distribution-bar-layer/m-p/2470887#M17807

There are still more similar questions, but no reaction from Autodesk.

Vlado 

Message 9 of 10
Icemanau

I copied the relevant Ground and Earth parent blocks that ACADE supplied and modified the copies to be child blocks.

I then added them to the Insert Components menu in the same tree as the parent.

There are 2 versions of each parent that you need to find and modify in this way. The Vertical and the Horizontal.

The way to modify the copy is to rename the copy almost exactly the same as the parent, just with a "2" instead of a "1" in position 4 of the filename.

Open the file and change the TAG1 to TAG2 by double clicking on the TAG1 and changing the attribute name in the dialog box.

Delete the CAT, MFG & CATDESC attributes if they are there and then add the XREF attribute.

Save the block and then open the parent block.

In here, you need to add the XREF attribute and maybe the CAT, MFG and CATDESC attributes if they are not already included.

This will give you a fully functioning child and parent ground and earth symbols. All you have to do now is draw a footprint to match what you normally use.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 10 of 10
drathak
in reply to: Icemanau

That's prettty much what I had in mind.  Did something similar for our terminal blocks.  The TSE just adds a level of complexity we don't need.

--------------
Joe Weaver

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost