AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Update from Catalog tool

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ADD_123
687 Views, 11 Replies

Component Update from Catalog tool

Not able to understand. I tried by changing catalog values for some components but not getting reflected in its report(component report. CAn anyone explain me its use in detail.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dougmcalexander
in reply to: ADD_123

I think you are referring to the utility that updates catalog data on symbols that have already been inserted. If you change vendor part data in the catalog database after you have assigned a particular part number to a device symbol, this utility can update all of the attributes of all symbols that were assigned that part number. It is especially helpful if you are using the TEXT VALUE field to fill in the RATING1, RATING2, etc.attribute(s), or DESC1, DESC2, etc. attributes, and you later find an error in the catalog database.

The utility doesn't directly change a BOM. Re-run the BOM report and choose to Update Existing, if you wish update part number data on an existing BOM.

I'm answering you from my phone or I would would attach a screen image from AutoCAD Electrical Help.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 12
ADD_123
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks for the reply. But there is no entry in the Component Report generated by this tool even if there is a change in the catalog database for the assigned part no of a component. As per my undersatnding, there should be an entry in the component report if a catalog value or a manufacturer is changed for a component having an assigned part no from the catalog database.

What are the entries that are reflected in the Component report generated frim this tool?

Message 4 of 12
rhughes
in reply to: ADD_123

I am having a very similar issue.    I am running windows 7 with Autocad Electrical 2018. 

When I run the Component update from the Catalog.  I have selected Item Only have tried overwrite and blank items only.  Neither one will update the product  and when the report is pulled up it is blank.  Nothing has been updated.  

Message 5 of 12
dougmcalexander
in reply to: rhughes

Your question is a bit vague.  Can you describe your exact issue?  I'm not sure what you mean by selecting Item Only.  That isn't an option from the Component Update From Catalog utility.  The Component Update from Catalog simply replaces attribute values on selected components, in case you made a change to the record for that part number in the Catalog Database after the part was already assigned to components in a drawing.  It has no affect on Item Number.  The Resequence Item Numbers utility can update Item Number assignments.

Component_Update_from_Catalog.png

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 12
rhughes

Sorry about that.   Either way  Overwrite existing  or Update blank items Only. I can not get it to work. 

Message 7 of 12
dougmcalexander

What version of AutoCAD Electrical are you using?  Is it updated to the latest service pack?  Are you certain that the catalog database you made changes to is the same one that your project is pointing to?  You can check this in Project Settings.  What report are you running, Component, BOM, etc.

It can be difficult to speculate on issues when I don't know your installation.  Are you networked or operating autonomously?  If operating autonomously, is your software installed at default file paths?  Do you have a secondary catalog database assigned to the project?

Doug McAlexander

Message 8 of 12
rhughes

The part number has a specific value in the catalog  in the (TEXTVALUE coloumn)  which is ITEM=DNO,  When the item is first inserted, it does put DNO in the ITEM.   But if you re sequence the items numbers it overwrites the item number,  Which is why I thought the Component Update from catalog would work.

Message 9 of 12
rhughes

All updates are current, we are networked ,  No secondary catalog, 

Message 10 of 12
rhughes

report.JPGThis a screen shot of the report I am talking about 

Message 11 of 12
dougmcalexander

The Resequence Item Numbers utility writes to the ITEM attribute of any component symbol.  It is designed to give you a quick and error-free way to assign item numbers alphabetically, according to manufacturer name.  It will do so project-wide, in seconds.  This allows you to sort your BOM by item number and still have it grouped by manufacturer.  You can then use the same BOM to build the panel and to order the parts.

Anyone who decides to manually assign ITEM numbers, either by typing in, selecting NEXT available, or by writing a value to the ITEM attribute via the TEXTVALUE field of the Catalog Database record, should not use the Resequence Item Numbers tool.  Again, the Resequence Item Numbers utility is there for those who prefer to leverage the automated capabilities of AutoCAD Electrical to save time and reduce human errors.

Doug McAlexander

Message 12 of 12
rhughes

Ok thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost