AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing tag names

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
655 Views, 5 Replies

Changing tag names

I need to change some existing tag names on a set of drawings at the request of the customer.
This will be for this customer only.
I know I can manually change the tag names, but every time a retag is run they will revert back to the original tag name.
Is there some way to change them automatically and get them to stay during a retag?

Thanks
Chad
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

Here is what I would do for each symbol in the drawing. Select each symbol and right click with the mouse away from the symbol. Select Edit Attributes and scroll down to the attribute Family. Change this to the prefix that you want to use for the retag. Now when you run retag, it will use this prefix for the retag instead of the original one.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

fdna49 If you are needing to change the "%F" portion of the tag for the customer, then you can create the file "wd_fam.dat". This file allows you to have the "%F" portion of the device tags changed when the devices are inserted without having to modify the blocks. You will create this file in notepad, and save it in the same location as this specific project for this customer. Also, after creating the file, you will need to restart AutoCAD Electrical. Here is the format inside the file: CR,K PBLT,PB-LT The entry before the comma is the existing tag (%F) value and after the comma is what you want it changed to. Once this file is created and Electrical has been restarted, when you run RETAG or insert a the components their tag (%F) value will be changed automatically to what you have defined in the wd_fam.dat file. One other thing you may look at is the option to make the tags FIXED. AutoCAD Electrical allows you to specify tag or wire number values as being FIXED so that when you run the automated features for retagging or renumbering the wire numbers, tags marked as fixed will not be modified. You also may use the COPY PROJECT command before making these modifications so that you will have a new project specific for this customer and then can tag the items according to their needs. I hope this helps!! -- ---- Regards, Jared Bunch Autodesk, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------- "testsubject" wrote in message news:19454279.1095791806616.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Here is what I would do for each symbol in the drawing. Select each symbol and right click with the mouse away from the symbol. Select Edit Attributes and scroll down to the attribute Family. Change this to the prefix that you want to use for the retag. Now when you run retag, it will use this prefix for the retag instead of the original one.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks Jared,
I went the route you suggested with the wd_fam.dat file, But I must be doing something wrong.
Even though I put the wd_fam.dat file and the project file in the same folder, which is in a different folder than all my other projects, the tag names for ALL projects are changing.
Please let me know where (if) I want wrong.

Thanks
Chad
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

fdna49 I have double checked and tested this in 2005 and it should only be affecting the projects that are in the same location as the wd_fam.dat file. So, if you have 10 project files in the same location as the wd_fam.dat file, then all 10 of those projects will use that file...what release are you using? -- ---- Regards, Jared Bunch Autodesk, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------- "fdna49" wrote in message news:1798418.1095856653567.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Jared, > I went the route you suggested with the wd_fam.dat file, But I must be doing something wrong. > Even though I put the wd_fam.dat file and the project file in the same folder, which is in a different folder than all my other projects, the tag names for ALL projects are changing. > Please let me know where (if) I want wrong. > > Thanks > Chad
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Jared,
I am still using 2004.
I created a file within the "projects" folder for the project I need to change the tags for.
All that is in the folder are the files for that specific project and the wd_fam.dat file, but it was still changing tags for projects outside of the folder.

Chad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost