AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Terminal Block Tag Strips Simultaneously

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3442 Views, 11 Replies

Changing Terminal Block Tag Strips Simultaneously

I have a project with 150 terminal blocks that are of the same tag strip terminal TB-2000, numbered 1-150. How can I change the tag strip from TB-2000 to TB-1 without having to edit all single 150 terminals individually? This would save an immense amount of time! Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't work hard. Replace the Tag via Find/Edit/Replace tool project-wide. You could also export to spreadsheet and make the changes via Excel, but F/E/R will be faster. See attached screen image which shows the location in the ribbon menu of version 2010.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Hi
you can try to "Reassign terminals"
please see the attched file as well
Best Regards,

Hamid Zarghooni
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Wow, that worked great. I knew there had to be some function that did that but didn't know where. Thank you so much!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

thanks thanksthanks

guys I was about to ask almost the same question( how to edit more than one terminal block same time?)

and just wanted to see what is out there.

loveed it. thank you all.:) Edited by: durevcan on Mar 16, 2010 4:44 PM
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Which of the two replies worked great? You didn't choose a best answer.
Message 7 of 12
dougmcalexander

Click Find/Edit/Replace Component Text, as illustrated in my earlier post.  You will see an option for Find/Edit/Replace Terminal Text but, believe it or not, that one doesn't change terminal tags (the TAGSTRIP attribute), it changes terminal number, like changing 1 to 2 or L1 to L2, etc.  After you click on Find/Edit/Replace Component Text, select Project, OK, Do All, and OK.  When you get to the screen shown in the attached image, check the box next to TAG and click List to find the terminal strip you wish to rename.  If you prefer, you can just type in the Strip Name.  Check the Replace box and type in the new terminal strip tag designation.  Change the option radio button to All instead of Part, so the utility searches for an exact match, not a partial match.  Click Start Search and at the next screen click Replace All.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 8 of 12
ccad2509
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug im surprised you did not go with the dedicated block reasignment tool

1) Goto Panel> Editor

select terminal strip you wish to edit the presss edit

edit.jpg

2) youcan now select a ny or all the terminals in the block and then press resign terminals

Slide2.JPG

3) you can now browse to a different existing block details or enter new block details

Slide1.JPG

click ok >oK>Done

and the project updates

Message 9 of 12
dougmcalexander

I understood him to be asking how to change a Strip ID project wide, not renumber a strip. Maybe I misunderstood his inquiry.

TSE can renumber the individual terminals in a strip. But I don't usually use TSE for renumbering a strip, because it doesn't consider their appearance in the schematic as the sort order. I like to renumber according to their appearance in the schematic drawings. I use a couple of old commands that aren't in the ribbon. I made icons and added them to my ribbon. They are AERENUMPICK and AERENUMPROJ. The pick version prompts for a beginning number and every time you click a terminal it gets the next number. The project version prompts for a starting number and then renumbers all terminals in the strip in the order that they appear in the schematic drawings. I give the icons away to my students and it provides an opportunity to teach the CUI editor in my advanced class.

Depending upon the situation I might also use the spreadsheet export/import/update method to renumber a strip.  But AERENUMPROJ is my preferred method because it uses the sort order to process each drawing of the project.

Doug McAlexander

Message 10 of 12

Hi Doug.

Just wanted to point out that he meant terminal REASSIGN, not renumber.

I would also go with the TSE for reassigning ("renaming") terminals.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 11 of 12

Right, I understood that.  I guess I confused the issue when I posted about renumbering the strip.  I was just trying to point out that sometimes even TSE is not the best choice for renumbering, because it renumbers from the panel layout side, which can sometimes cause the schematic terminals to not be numbered in order of their appearance in the schematic.  I've had numerous customer complaints about that because they want their sequentially numbered terminal strips numbered in the order that they appear in the schematic.  So I show each of these customers how to add the AETERMRENUMPROJ command to their ribbon.

The original post that started this thread  referred to retagging the strip ID of 150 terminals in a strip all at once, changing from TB-2000 to TB-1.  I prefer Find/Edit/Replace for that, though I am a huge fan of TSE.

My problem with using Terminal Reassign to retag an entire strip is that it requires me to rebuild or re-insert the graphical strip, and then it updates the related schematic symbols.  That may be good if I'm working on panel layout, but if I'm on a schematic drawing, I'm going to be prompted to rebuild or insert new.  TSE is actually more of a panel layout utility, so it is a great choice if I'm laying out the panel.  But there is still a slight inconvenience using TSE to reassign the strip ID, even on a panel layout.  I keep the TAGSTRIP attribute hidden by default on my terminal footprints and only make the TAGSTRIP attribute visible on one of the blocks, once the strip is inserted, so it is clear which strip it is.  I don't use dumb text to call out a strip, because attributes are always searchable and replaceable using spreadsheet export, when the need arises. Dumb text isn't.  Rebuild or Reinsert replaces the terminal footprints and then I have to unhide the TAGSTRIP attribute again, after every edit.  Using the Find/Edit/Replace utility takes care of retagging the entire strip, schematic and panel layout symbols, without requiring me to rebuild or reinsert the graphical strip.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Doug McAlexander

Message 12 of 12
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug,

I like to use TSE to do it because it gives me a little finer control on the process than a global change.  For instance, I may want all but a couple of the terminals to be changed or I may also want to add some terminals or accessories at the same time.

I am also more confident of my links being maintained or re-established. 

Your way works, it is sometimes just a matter of preference.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost