AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change PLC Database Path

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
oharadi
1818 Views, 5 Replies

Change PLC Database Path

Originally I was running ACAD E 2010 and changed our PLC database file path to a common network location so that myself and the other two designers in the department would all use a common database. This saved work so that the same PLC wouldn't have to be created on multiple computers. I changed to ACAD E 2012 and would like it to use that common database again, however, I cannot seem to do this in 2012. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dougmcalexander
in reply to: oharadi

The easiest way to share data across a network is to move the AeData folder and all subfolders to the network and add this path to the top of the Support File Search Path in Options.  This method requires no changes to the wd.env file and will share the catalog database, PLC content, and projects.  There is a complete explanation of this on the Tips/Tricks page of my web site.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
oharadi

Doug,

Thanks for the rapid response. What you described was how I achieved my goal originally in ACADE 2010. When I started using ACADE 2012 I had maintained the file path to the network where our common PLC database was but I was still having an issue. Your response did spark an idea and I removed the local PLC database that was generated on the install of ACADE 2012. I don't know why but even though the local file path was not in the support file list it was still going there first. Now that I have removed it everything works fine. Thanks for the response, it was a lot of a help.

Message 4 of 6
dougmcalexander

You might want to use the migration utility to merge your database with the new one and use the new one. Make backups of course.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 6
ABurylov

Hi! I use NTFS junction (directory symbolic links) to change directory path.

"C:\Documents and Settings\....\AcadE\Support\Images" -> "C:\MyBase\Support\Images"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768

PS: Not for Network sharing 

Message 6 of 6
controlsgirl
in reply to: ABurylov

Hi Aburylove, If you create a junction would it screw up any other function that was looking for files in the original folder. Example, say two files, fileA and FileB, exist in FolderA. I have my own version of fileA stored in "MyFolder". If I create a junction and a program was looking for fileB, would it still be able to find it in FolderA? or would i also have to move fileB to MyFolder?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost