Valued Contributor
TomTom111
Message 1 of 5 (267 Views)
Accepted Solution

Change Electrical Database Locations

267 Views, 4 Replies
10-14-2013 09:31 AM

Hello all,

We are in the middle of a Vault Migration for all of our AutoCAD Electrical projects.

My main concern is the AutoCAD Electrical databases.

We are going to try to put everything in one working folder that will be the same on dozens of workstations.

This brings me to my question...

There are three main folders AutoCAD Electrical uses for it's databases, AEDATA, Libs and the Support folder.

I want to change these three folders to a location that would be the same on every system, C:\VaultWork\Electrical\etc...

Is it possible to make Electrical look for these things in a different location, or are the locations static?

--Thanks in advanced.

Thomas Walls

CADMASTER TECHNOLOGIES, LLC
www.cadmastertech.com

Thomas Walls | AutoCAD Electrical 2013
www.cadmastertech.com
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 2 of 5 (264 Views)

Re: Change Electrical Database Locations

10-14-2013 10:14 AM in reply to: TomTom111
Yes, you can change the location. There is an explanation about this on my web page under the subject of networking. You just move the AeData folder to the new location and add this path to the top of the support file search path in AutoCAD options.

The project scratch databases should remain on the local drive, for speed. They can be deleted anytime anyway. Drawing data is stored in the drawings. The project scratch database is used internally by the software. Attempts to relocate these have produced undesirable results.
Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Valued Contributor
TomTom111
Message 3 of 5 (252 Views)

10-14-2013 11:17 AM in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thank you sir.

As i stated, this change will be implimented on many workstations.

I can change the Library locations in the project, so whoever opens it, the paths will go with the project.

But, is there a way to change the support file search path on many computers at one time?

Or will I have to go from workstation to workstation, changing the path?

--Thanks

Thomas Walls

www.cadmastertech.com

www.cadmastertech.com
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 4 of 5 (247 Views)

10-14-2013 11:52 AM in reply to: TomTom111

You only need to move the AeData folder from one PC to the network.  You will have to set the support file search path for each workstation, but you only do this once, and it only takes a minute or so.  The wd.env file resides in the AeData folder so all workstations will share the same environment file.  Hint: Rename or delete the local AeData folder to ensure that AutoCAD Electrical does not find the local AeData.  I have seen it use the local AeData folder if it exists.

As you stated the projects all point to a specific library path, so no change is needed there, unless you wish to serve the libraries from the network.  You would definitely want to share a custom symbols folder, so anytime someone creates a new symbol, it is available for all.  In the wd.env file you can set the path for the icon menu browse button to always default to the networked custom symbols folder first.  You set the entire schematic library path as shown in my attached sample.  Now you can select on the Schematic Library category in Project Properties and click the Default button to instantly set the project to the new schematic library path.  The same can be done for panel layout footprints.

Hint: Place the custom symbols folder first in the path. If you wish to modify a symbol from the supplied Autodesk libraries, copy them first into you custom symbols folder.  Make you edits and save.  When you click to insert this component from the icon menu, AutoCAD Electrical searches the menu list in order and finds your modified version first.

You can go one step further and share the icon menus as well. Simply move them to a desired location on the network and set the projects to this path.  Now when some adds a new symbol to the menu, all users see it.  Again, you can edit the wd.env file default icon menu path for both schematic and footprint to menus to reflect the new path for each.  In Project Properties, you simply select the schematic icon menu category and click the Default button to immediately change the menu path.  Note: You must do this for both the schematic and panel footprint categories.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Valued Contributor
TomTom111
Message 5 of 5 (239 Views)

10-14-2013 12:40 PM in reply to: dougmcalexander

That pretty much sums up what I am trying to do.

I have an extensive custom icon menu we use for both schematics and panel footprints.

I have tried this with your steps provided, and successfully shared these databases with two workstations so for.

And I did not know about the wd.env file in the AeData, thanks.

Hopefully this makes everyone's lives a bit easier :smileywink:

--Thanks Doug

Thomas Walls

www.cadmastertech.com

www.cadmastertech.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community