AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Lookup Freezing

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
hanchris
2640 Views, 23 Replies

Catalog Lookup Freezing

I cannot seem to access any of the catalog tables. I can insert the component just fine and enter in all data on the individual component level; but the second I hit the "Lookup" button AutoCADE freezes on me.

We have our catalog on the server (that I have access to) and I have tried doing this from another computer and it works find. I have turned on the command trace (aeonlispdebug), on the working computer and on the problem computer and it appears the same commands are being run. I have attached a screen image of the problem trace because this causes AutoCADE to freeze. It does not go into a "Not Responding" state, just a frozen (waiting) state.

Under my assessment it looks like everything is running fine in AutoCAD, except for the point where the catalog dialog box is brought up. This would explain, why AutoCAD stays responsive and the catalog file becomes locked out (with an *.ldb file). It looks like it might be a problem with that catalog lookup dialog box.

Is the dialog box that is brought up with the "Lookup" button a .dcl file or some side file like that, which I can possibly search for to see if it is there and/or copy it from another machine?

And I know this next question probably will get me no where; but does anyone have any ideas, leads of what else could be causing this problem? I am using AutoCAD: Electrical 2009 on a 64-bit system, which is actually when the problem started.

Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
pdesormeaux
in reply to: RolandPanken

It did not work for me,

I am using ACE 2011 on windoes XP and the sub folder shown in the last post doesn't exist.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.1\ACAD-9007:409\Ace_disp_cat_on_dwg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.1\ACAD-9007:409\Ace_disp_cat_on_proj

I changed both coordinates to zero and the catalog still freezing. I am also running on a dual monitor setup (Autocad in the 2e) but there is two other users in my business running with one monitor and they got the same problem.

Message 22 of 24
RolandPanken
in reply to: pdesormeaux

I also found the following, but it didn't help for me. That's all I know about this issue.

Hopefully it works for you!

Another way to get a window back on screen that you
suspect is off screen, without having to edit the registry, is to use the key
combination Alt + Space to bring up the dialog's System menu (you may or may not
be able to see it) and then press "M" for Move.  This will put the dialog
into a mode where you can move the dialog with your arrow keys.  You could
try to reposition it with the arrow keys, but I believe once you press one
of the arrow keys and move the mouse, that if it is off screen, it will jump to
the mouse and you can move it with the mouse.

Thanks to alljones

Message 23 of 24
zalant

If AutoCAD Electrical freezes or locks up when performing a catalog lookup, it could have to do with some table fields being empty in the default_cat.mdb database.  At the very least, fields 1, 2, 4, and 5 must be populated for all records.  We've seen this lockup issue caused by table records which don't conform to this standard.  Once the lockup occurs, even switching back to the default catalog database (MDB) file won't correct the freezing behavior.  

If you've confirmed that another Windows user works fine on the same workstation, then try the following:

1. In the AutoCAD Electrical folder on the Windows Start menu, run Migrate Custom Settings > Export AutoCAD Settings.  This will create a ZIP file with backup copies of your CUI, LIN, CTB/STB, fonts, and other support files.
  2. Open the Windows Registry Editor and browse to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R1x.x\ACAD-x007:409 (where the x value will vary with the version of Electrical that you have installed)
  3. Use the Registry Editor's File pull-down menu to export the ACAD-x007:409 key (for backup purposes)
  4. Delete the ACAD-x007:409 key
  5. Replace the default_cat.mdb with the default version or one that is known to be working
  6. Launch AutoCAD Electrical

The deleted registry key will be rebuilt and catalog lookup functionality should return to normal.

Zac Travis
Message 24 of 24
veronab

THANK YOU!!!!  I had the same problem and this worked perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost