AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Database Sorting Issues

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JReese-NC
522 Views, 4 Replies

Catalog Database Sorting Issues

Well I have only been using ACADE since the start of the 2010 version but I would have to say that the 2011 Catalog Database lookup is much worse than 2010 in terms of very sluggish performance and just overall quirkiness of the functionality. I like the new layout but it needs some fixing.

However, the main reason for the posting is quite frequently I have issues trying to sort columns of data in the database when narrowing down products. When clicking on the header of a certain column to get the "checkbox" drop down list of sort option it is sometimes (more often than not) blank and just has the two sort A-Z and Z-A options at the top with nothing else when there should be. There are times working with a big list that it takes some time to load but a lot of the time it just never displays anything.

See the link below for a screenshot. Is there anything that can be done about this or what is the cause of it being blank?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1481801/blank_sort_lists.png

-----
JReese
Dell Precision T1600
Xeon E31245, 16GB RAM, Quadro 400
Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Autocad Electrical 2018 64bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: JReese-NC

I've run into this issue but each time it has been because I had narrowed down so far there were no other variations.  I do wish they would modify the functionality so that when I select a certain MFG for a certain type of symbol this will be the default MFG when I return to select another part number.  I'm using Weidmuller Terminals on a project at the moment but each time I click Lookup I get SIEMENS and have to switch to WEIDMULLER.  It's the same for all components.  There is a default and it won't remember the changes I make.  Insert a red pilot light. The default is AB. Uncheck AB and select SQD.  Select a part number and assign it.  Now insert a green pilot from the icon menu.  Click Lookup and AB and default again.  This gets very annoying.  Integrators must hate this.  We have to use a certain brand of parts for different customers.  We should be able to set and forget with the first lookup we do for each type of component.  We have the same issue with the sort orders.  It won't remember the last sort order.  If I am inserting panel footprints from a schematic list, based upon a sort order of TAGNAME, MFG, CAT I want to keep it that way the next day.  But the next day when I open the schematic list, it is sorted by LOC, CAT, TAGNAME.  I have to set this for each session of AutoCAD Electrical.  But with Catalog Lookup it won't remember the boxes I checked from the previous Lookup, even in the same session of AutoCAD Electrical.

I do like the new Catalog Lookup interface as a whole though.  You can just start type a part number into the CAT field and it will filter as you go.  And on my old IBM Thinkpad the dialog pops up faster than with version 2010.  Again I just wish it would keep the boxes checked the way I left them so I can focus in on certain vendors, according to my customer's requirements.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Using Microsoft Access, open your default_cat.mdb file (or the one you normally use).

Open the _listbox_def table.

The value to change are in the MANUFACTURER and LIST2 columns.

Look for the table (ex. SS for Selector Switches, LT for indicator lights) and change the two values in that entry to the most common used component manufacturer and style your company uses for that type of component.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Brad! That really doesn't solve the bigger problem. I've been hacking these databases for years but not all customers have MS Access and should not need it. The program should remember my last filter settings. An integrator will not have preferred parts to set in the database permanently. That will change with each job. The right thing is for the software to work without the need for MS Access.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
JReese-NC
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Well in regards to when I posted yesterday I did figure out what the issue was at that point in time. You can see in the sceenshot in my first post that I sorted manufacturer buy typing the name "sus" and from what I can tell when you have typed sort criteria in you will get nothing but blank drop down lists when you try to use the checkbox method of sorting on the columns after that.

The Schematic List sorting issues also drives me nuts...

I didn't know about the defaults that can be set in the database and I made a few changes there that will help a little bit but there is still a lot of functionality that needs to be fixed in the whole Catalog Database lookup procedure. It woudl be nice to have something in the "Projects" panel that you could go in and set database defaults much like can be done in the database itself but with a graphical interface and even more fine tuning options.

-----
JReese
Dell Precision T1600
Xeon E31245, 16GB RAM, Quadro 400
Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Autocad Electrical 2018 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost