AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't adjust column or cell widths

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
JeffatSJE
3019 Views, 20 Replies

Can't adjust column or cell widths

I am trying to use the new table features in ACE2005 SP1 and I am not able to adjust the column widths. Any Ideas?
See attached.

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
chubby-1
in reply to: JeffatSJE

If you are importing an excel spreadsheet, I believe you will need to establish the correct column width in excel......before you import it.

Marty
Message 3 of 21
quistjm

Jeff,
left click mouse in box "QTY" it will hilite
right click mouse in box "QTY" go down to "Properties"
go to "Cell width" and type in your width
hit enter on keyboard
your file works for me
Regards,
Jerry
Message 4 of 21
JeffatSJE

That's the way I would expect it to work but when I change the cell value from 4.1600 to say 2 and hit enter it just flashes and reverts back to 4.1600.

Any other Ideas?
Thanks
Message 5 of 21
envirex

If you have a cell with content longer than your new size and word-wrap is off?
Message 6 of 21
JeffatSJE

Word Wrap? setting on an ACAD Table object
where is this setting
Thanks
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

After you click on the "insert spreadsheet data to table" command, you will get the first dialog "report generator". when you are done in that dialog, you click on "put on drawing". A new dialog will pop up called "table generation setup". In this dialog under "column width" uncheck calculate automatically and check "define widths" then click on the "define" button. In the dialog that pops up, you can adjust the widths.
Message 8 of 21
amt_controls

Along with the widths, is their any way we can adjust the row height and justification? When I insert my BOM onto my drawing, the words are really close to the top and left of the cell border. Is there anyway we can change that so that they are not so close?
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

You can increase the left hand horizontal margin by increasing the horizontal margin value in the table style ace_table_1. I tried to create my own table style, but it didn't work, it seems to always look for ace_table_1. This parameter can be found in the data tab of the table style dialog box (under format menu) after you choose "ace_table_1" and "modify". The vertical margins are adjusted the same way. The cell height can be adjusted in the "table generation setup" dialog that comes up as you are inserting your table. They call it "spacing". This value can be adjusted down until you reach a lower limit that is defined by the formula ((vertical margin x 2 ) + (text height x 1.333)). Any number below this point will not change anything. there are a couple of ways to adjust vertical justification. Select the cells you want to justify and change the justification in the properties box. The properties box does not always seem to show the parameter "alignment", this seems to be dependent upon how you go about selecting the data in the table. I try to select within the outside borders and that usually works. Then you could grab one of the lower corner grips on the table and drag upward to reduce the cells to their minimum. The other way is to use this lisp routine that Autodesk sent me that will simultaneously reduce the height of the cells to the minimum, as defined above, and move the text much closer to being vertically middle justified. This routine does not perfectly justify, but gets reasonably close. To use this routine put it under your main AutoCAD directory. Use the appload command to load it for the current session , or in the same dialog select the "contents" button under "startup suite" and add the routine to cause it to automatically load each time you open a drawing. After you have inserted your table, on the command line, type "table_justify". You will be prompted for top, middle, or bottom justification, type T, M, or B to select justification. Select objects and you're done.
Message 10 of 21
JeffatSJE

You know, even after opening this same drawing up with the latest and gratest AE I still can not change the width value for the qty column in the top table. The bottom table works just great. I would have to assume that when imported the qty column came in as a numbers and this is not adjustable.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Did you insert this table into this drawing using the " insert spreadsheet data to table" command? If so, you need to set up your horizontal and vertical margins in "table style" under the format menu before you use that command. Some, but not all of the parameters from the table style are used by this command. Also, I see that you had the standard table style as current. The " insert spreadsheet data to table" command seems to only care about the parameters in the ace_table_1 style, or this has been my experience, so when you set up the table style, be sure to use this one. I went into the table style setup for ace_table_1 and set the text size, and margins to be the same as what your table actually had. I then went and selected the table and right clicked and then clicked on "remove all property overrides" after I did this, I was able to manipulate all of the columns at will. Of course I had to go back and change the color of the text, no big deal. When the " insert spreadsheet data to table" command is used, property overrides from ACADE are installed with that table. I can't see what they would have been because you didn't include the spreadsheet that this table came from. This command is really screwed up, but it is usable if you do everything just right. I have attached the modified drawing for you to see. If you could post the spreadsheet, it might be easier to see what's going on.
Message 12 of 21
JeffatSJE

Thanks I should have tried the "remove all property overrides" before posting. I will have to experiment with this "Just right" table style settings. Perhaps AE could allow the user to select a style instead of creating one every time for doing reports I could call mine ICS Nameplate Schedule or ICS PLCIO Schedule or ICS BOM etc..
Message 13 of 21
amt_controls

Where exactly is this ace_table_1 table at? I'm using ACE 2006?
Message 14 of 21
JeffatSJE

On the Draw menu Pick Table
Message 15 of 21
JeffatSJE

Opps you will have to run atleast on report first then AE will create one
Message 16 of 21
amt_controls

Which is where?
Message 17 of 21
JeffatSJE

Ok Start by opening a drawing with bom items then create a bom for that drawing then place it on the drawing then pick Draw from the pulldown menu then Table then Table Style name drop down box it should be there. see attached
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

"Table style" is under the format drop down menu. "Table" (insert table) is under the draw drop down menu. I neglected to say that I am working out of ACADE 2006. I don't remember if this table style was in ACADE 2005 or not. I don't know if this table style is immediately in the list the first time you start up ACADE 2006 or if you have to invoke the "insert spreadsheet data to table" command first, in order to create it.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

Give it a try. I know that when I tried to create my own table style that it made no difference to the "insert spreadsheet data to table" command. It still used the settings from the ace_table_1 style. The only way I could control the settings was for me to modify the ace_table_1 style. Maybe you will have better luck. Perhaps it's a naming convention issue. I've seen people refer to this table style as ace_table_...... which I would take to mean that you could make up an ace_table_2 or 3 etc. style, and just set it to be current.
Message 20 of 21
amt_controls

Ohhhhh. I had no idea that was there. I was looking at the ACE drop down menus and not the regular AutoCAD menu's.

Thanks a lot. i appreciate your guy's help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost