AutoCAD Electrical General

Distinguished Contributor
pmccutcheon
Message 1 of 1 (58 Views)

Cables - wishing/whining

58 Views, 0 Replies
09-01-2005 07:22 AM
There are a number of things I would like to be able to do with cables:

1) I would like to be able to show one cable in several places - say once at one end, and again at another end. (I've proposed a work around elsewhere)

2) I would like to show a cable in multi-line format, and in one-line format.
Connector_Cable_Example.dwg -- CBL21370 is shown multline at the bottom, with PL21370; and single line about the middle of the page.
I've patched it up in the example, but there are several problems I think:
a) the instance at rung 4 is treated as a wire by AE (thinks its a conductor in the cable whereas really it is an instance of the whole cable)
b) there is no way to "attach" the one-line depiction to the components at either end.
i.e., I can't get a wire list that says "plug CBL21370 to CP21320 and TS21350".
or "PJ21370 mates with TS21350-PORTA
I suppose connectors also need a multiline and oneline representation

3) "Smart Fan In"
If I Fan signals into a cable, I would like AE to "remember" which signals/wire numbers/colors went in. Then, at the other end, when I fan out, I want to pick from a list of items that belong JUST TO THAT CABLE, not everything in the project or page. I'm thinking of ORCAD here.

4) Maybe we just aren't getting fan-in/out.
Cable_Example_Markup.Dwg is an example of one work around, lower right corner
-we haven't bothered to fan
-I think we are just finding it too tedious to name every signal, then pick the correct one at the other end. Looking at 10 signals in this one section alone.
-the cable doesn't tie to the fan very well

5) No easy way to enter cable lengths.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community